Coup ideas

1sttimechickenmom

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2023
Hello BYC !!

We purchased a coop online...mostly because we are new at this and wanted some time to see what would work best for us after having some girls for a while. We have pullets arriving later this week and after all the research, I thought I would come to the experts. What do you use inside your coop? I have read everything from nothing to pine chips, to shredded newspaper and more. Our run is in a grassy area, so I don't expect I need to do anything there, except have an area for a dust bath. I'd love to see pictures if you are willing to share.

Also, feel free to share any tips for a new chicken momma with anything you wished you knew before getting your first chickens!!

Thanks!!

What do you use inside your coop?
I have used hemp bedding and/or large flake pine shavings on the floor and either zeolite granules (Sweet PDZ) or coffee ground bedding on the poop boards.

I would never recommend using nothing. You need something to absorb the moisture from the poop and it should be removed from the coop as often as reasonable to keep the air quality good.
Our run is in a grassy area, so I don't expect I need to do anything there
The grass will be destroyed in due course. How well protected is the run from the weather, what size is it in relation to the number of birds you plan to house and how many birds would that be?
except have an area for a dust bath
They will dig this out themselves.
We purchased a coop online
Can you please post pictures of what you purchased?

Unfortunately, it will more than likely be far too small for the number of birds you have coming. 99.9% of the time, it is. This is because people who have never owned chickens before believe the highly deceptive marketing strategies of the coop manufacturers regarding the number of birds the structure can house. They quote commercial numbers. The problem with that is that commercial birds are viciously overcrowded. Do the point that the chicks are de-beaked at hatch to prevent damage to flock mates due to pecking from the stress of being overcrowded.

I am in middle Georgia, USA, and have pine straw readily available, so that's what I use. I rake it up (sort out the pine cones and sticks), and put it in a cart to dry. It is natural, easy and free, and keeps my coop pretty fresh smelling. In the coop, I 'fluff it up' once a week with a rake, and then add an extra layer on top. About every four weeks I clean it all out and replace it with the dry straw from my cart. This has been working quite well for my needs.
Screenshot_20230713_082101_Blink.jpg

Last edited:
We have six pullets coming. It was marketed as suitable for 10-12 hens. I knew immediately once it was built it would not work for that many. We plan to build a coop but know there was so much we don't know and want to get our feet wet first. We will cover the second run area and they will also have free-range time but I am already planning to add to the run area (and cover it) ASAP.

I appreciate everyone's feedback!!

Attachments

• coop and run 2.jpg
    coop and run 2.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 15
  • coop and run.jpg
    coop and run.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 14
  • inside of coop.jpg
    inside of coop.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 18
I am in middle Georgia, USA, and have pine straw readily available, so that's what I use. I rake it up (sort out the pine cones and sticks), and put it in a cart to dry. It is natural, easy and free, and keeps my coop pretty fresh smelling. In the coop, I 'fluff it up' once a week with a rake, and then add an extra layer on top. About every four weeks I clean it all out and replace it with the dry straw from my cart. This has been working quite well for my needs.View attachment 3722562
Thank you! Love the curtains!!
I have used hemp bedding and/or large flake pine shavings on the floor and either zeolite granules (Sweet PDZ) or coffee ground bedding on the poop boards.

I would never recommend using nothing. You need something to absorb the moisture from the poop and it should be removed from the coop as often as reasonable to keep the air quality good.

The grass will be destroyed in due course. How well protected is the run from the weather, what size is it in relation to the number of birds you plan to house and how many birds would that be?

They will dig this out themselves.

Can you please post pictures of what you purchased?

Unfortunately, it will more than likely be far too small for the number of birds you have coming. 99.9% of the time, it is. This is because people who have never owned chickens before believe the highly deceptive marketing strategies of the coop manufacturers regarding the number of birds the structure can house. They quote commercial numbers. The problem with that is that commercial birds are viciously overcrowded. Do the point that the chicks are de-beaked at hatch to prevent damage to flock mates due to pecking from the stress of being overcrowded.
Pictures below. You are SO right!!

It was marketed as suitable for 10-12 hens
That tiny coop shouldn't house more than 2 hens for very long. I would consider it a very temporary arrangement.

I would also brace and secure a 2x6 (long side vertical) over the center of the "run" area of the pre-fab coop to form a small pitch. Then secure a tarp over that section to try to keep it dry-ish over the winter.

You want to shoot for a coop with 3.5-4 sq ft of floor space, 12" of linear roost space and as close to 1 sq ft of permanent ventilation as you can manage per bird as well as 1 nest box per 4-5 birds. The run should offer another 15 sq ft of space per bird and don't leave it bare. They like to scratch around in organic matter, perch and preen at various times of the day and dust bathe. They will dig their own sites but the run must be kept dry not only for hygiene reasons and to keep parasite loads down but also so they have good dust bathing sites. Always put clutter in the run in the form of stumps, old wood chairs or stools, pallets, whatever you have that would be fun for chickens to jump up on.
The hens on the ground behind the stump are bathing:

Flock in run.jpg

I would also put a solid roof on the run and make everything walk-in style as it makes life ever so much easier and enjoyable. I converted an old shed on my property into my coop and it was absolutely the best thing I ever did for ease in their care.
finished coop and run.jpg

Last edited:
I apologize.....I wasn't clear.....the size structure I stated was for the run....it's a heavy metal, all enclosed welded wire, walk-in run that I will reinforce with 1/2 inch wire mesh around the walls...6 ft high. It also has a 2 ft mesh apron around the perimeter. There's also a knockout that I can put up against the pop door of the coop. My coop will be a 10x16 shed that I will build 2 8 ft roosts and 6 nesting boxes for. Then, of course, asst toys, waterers, feeders, additional ventilation and lighting. You should see the notebook I have started just from info gleaned from this site alone! You folks are the best!!

Back
Top Bottom