Couple newbie questions

username taken

Songster
10 Years
Jan 31, 2009
Just a couple quick questions:

1) How much space do you allow per chick in the brooder (and at what age)

2) At what age do you introduce roosts?

Cheers!

1) How much space do you allow per chick in the brooder (and at what age)

The rule of thumb is 1/2 square foot per chick for the first 2 weeks, then 1 square foot per chick until they fully feather out. More is always better and always watch for cannibalism, even if you are over the square footage guidelines.

2) At what age do you introduce roosts?

Anytime you wish. When they actually use them to roost varies a lot. If you provide low roosts (a coupel of inches high) in the first week they will play on it and practice perching. When they are ready to roost, they will.

Well I'm a newbie myself. I went to a box big enough that I felt comfortable that they had enough room. I started out with 10 in a tote and went to a bigger box after a week. They will have plenty of room to grow in this box and will use it until they are 6 or 7 weeks and can go to the coop.

I introduced roosts last week when they were 2 weeks old. These are 2 inches off the ground and about 2 inches wide. I placed 2 of them in..half of each is directly under the lamp. I only have a few that will roost. They seem to nap on there most of them but for nightly sleeping its laying together and placing heads on anothers back. Much softer.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom