Couple of chick questions?

Lee1

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Up State New York
Hello, My chicks are almost 1 week old, still on paper towels thinking about replacing with pne shavings.?

Also when do they start flying to top of brooder (brooder noy to high)? Thanks in advance.

We use woody pet they are like a pellet and don't need to change as often as pine also not as much trouble with it getting into the water when thay play around, plus it reduces the smell. I swapped from pine as they still kept trying to eat it.

Most people change over to pine shavings around 3 or 4 days old, whenever they figure out what food is. They will still eat a little of it, probably. They will probably start flying up to the top of the brooder in a week or two, if not sooner.

I prefer pine pellets to pine shavings and switch over when they are a few days old. They're usually perching on the feeders and waterers by the end of week one and, depending on the depth of your brooder, could fly out.

What breed of chick. Do you have? Because in my light barhama brooder, they hardly even tried to fly to the top until 3/4 weeks. I also have a red sex link brooder.... They started flying on top of the brooder at 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom