Couple of questions about eggs in lockdown

NorthwoodsChick

Fowl play will 🐝 encouraged 🐥🐔
Premium Feather Member
May 16, 2021
UP Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have 11 eggs on day 20 in NR360- this was a dry incubation until day 15 with RH 25-30% then 35-40% until day 18 based on AC size.
At Lockdown (Wednesday) I bumped humidity up to 70%, removed turner, candled.
Yesterday candling through the dome some of the lighter colored eggs looked drawn down, like 1/3-1/2 down! I don’t see rocking of eggs nor internal pips from what I can tell, and not sure when I should see movement, and I’m worried I made a big mistake with dry incubation (was rec by breeder).
What is a reasonably ave timeline of events during lockdown—drawdown to internal pip to external pip.
Should I open the dome and candle? When is a good time to intervene, if at all?

I read through articles but can’t find answers that reassure me.

Draw down should be normal, they draw down as they use the contents of the egg, then they pip the aircell and take up that available space.

I like dry hatching. I have been trying adding water sooner, but they just do well with the dry hatch.
I add water day 18.

Draw down should be normal, they draw down as they use the contents of the egg, then they pip the aircell and take up that available space.

I like dry hatching. I have been trying adding water sooner, but they just do well with the dry hatch.
I add water day 18.
Thanks. One really silly question- do I leave a light on in the incubation room? Will that encourage them to go to the light (air cell) so to speak? Curious

You don't need a light. For millions of years, chickens have evolved on earth, meaning exposure to hemeral lighting. But keep in mind, that is only when the hen leaves the nest. When hatching is imminent, the hen will sit tight to hold humidity in and they will be deprived of light.
Even when the egg is exposed, like in an incubator, there is still only one eye that experiences light. The other it tucked in under the wing.
The process of moving into hatching position is innate for the embryo. Light or no light. they will do what they've been doing since there were chickens.

Back
Top Bottom