Couple Questions

duckncover

Duck Obsessed
15 Years
Jan 17, 2009
North Eastern PA
I wanted to know if it's possible/practical to keep a call duck indoors?

I have a large cage and wanted to keep a single female as a pet. Are they loud? Do they smell? If handled often will she be okay alone with me?

Ducks are flock animals. I don't think it is fair to the duck to have just one. I also think a cage isn't fair to the duck. Mine have a large pen with a hutch in it AND also free range in the yard all day.

As for loudness, I think that breed is known to be loud.

ummm yeah thats a NO!!!! first call ducks are used to call other ducks for hunters...they are loud!
2nd that's NOT enough room!
3rd and the most important......they POOP every where. Worse then any other animal i have! SLOPPY

Why can't you put them or it with the hens and roo you have?? I mean you would have to intergrate them but ever thought about it?

call ducks are very loud, and the females can be very talky!

if you got one, and got it as a BABY, you'd have to expect to be by that things side, non-stop, 24-7!, even when she was fully grown and "on her own" wich is about a month old, you'd still be the flock, so you'd still be to stay with her, heck she'd have to SLEEP with you, EAT with you,root around in the grass for mud and bugs with you!, you'd have to parent her eggs!...can you imagine a humanx call duck, eh...I mean...they wouldn't fly away..too heavy, but they arn't good layers AND they stink to high heck!

but no, rule of thumb, get one duck, you have to have another.

alot of people have "house" ducks, but they either have large pens for them, or the ducks are out all day, a cage isn't a nice way to treat your new feathering little person.

If you are serious about having a house duck, contact nettie. She has 4 house ducks. SHe has said on many occasions it is like having human toddlers that never grow up. She uses diapers on them when they are out of their pen, and their pen is pretty darn big.

Back
Top Bottom