Cournix quail

rakozy4mom

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2017
Hi I'm new to this board. I'm a deaf mom to four hearing kids. One of my kids is very involved w 4-H. We recently acquired courtnix quails..

One of male has been limping-- not sure broken leg but I have noticed his legs have something on it - looks like some kind of shingles or ? Do I need to separate the male from females? I'm little worried.. thanks. Hope for a quick reply and thanks in advance....

Hi I'm new to this board. I'm a deaf mom to four hearing kids. One of my kids is very involved w 4-H. We recently acquired courtnix quails..

One of male has been limping-- not sure broken leg but I have noticed his legs have something on it - looks like some kind of shingles or ? Do I need to separate the male from females? I'm little worried.. thanks. Hope for a quick reply and thanks in advance....

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
!

Without seeing a photo of the lesions, what you describe sounds like possible quail pox, which is caused by a virus. Here's an article with more information - see if it matches what you're seeing: http://extension.msstate.edu/content/quail-pox.

Wow it sure does sound like it- I think my friend accidenlty injuried the quail... she was having them on wired cages- not me. All my quails are on flat surface - gravel and all-- to make it more natural - I just can't do wire flooring for the birds --- that's just me..

I have separated the male and he seems constant by himself for now... what should I do? Give it back to my friend? Ugh- she kind threw me under the bus

Again I don't want it infect other quails.. I'm stressed out already and this is all new to me.. ugh

Separating the symptomatic bird is a good approach. Quail pox is preventable with the specific vaccination, but once a bird is infected, it sounds like it just has to run its course. This site suggests an antibiotic/vitamin mix in water may help: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/3348/bobwhite-quail-production-4/.

You might also want to check with folks in the Quail forum. Good luck!

I'm gonna have to take the male back to the person a she's avoiding me calls- bet she knew. That little brat :/

Ok my other friend came to get the quail. She will try her best to get the male back in health. She has some degree rehabilitating Birds so now the male will be in good hands for now- she stated the bird is sick - must be something else not pox so it's out of my hands right now but she will keep me posted and keep close eye on other quails...

She's the one who started my son in 4-H when he was 5 and he's now almost 13... :) let's say she's pretty good friend of ours - recommended us to start on rabbits and the rest is history

Back
Top Bottom