Cover crop as grass replacement?

Kayla's Lunch

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Maryland
We have always had trouble keeping grass growing in our clay soil in our yard. Having dogs hasn't helped and getting chickens definitely wasn't a help. I'm not much of a gardener and don't know if there is a cover crop that I can use instead of trying to plant grass again. I saw this variety and wondering if anyone had any idea if it was safe for the chickens to eat and would it grow to cover the ground as a grass replacement. Thanks!

https://www.trueleafmarket.com/coll...cts/garden-cover-crop-mix?variant=38910930440Contains: Austrian Winter Peas, Winter Wheat, Winter Triticale, Forage Collards, Driller Daikon Radish, Hairy Vetch, Kentucky Pride Crimson clover, Organic Frosty Berseem Clover, and VNS Yellow Mustard.

We have always had trouble keeping grass growing in our clay soil in our yard.
It may be partly due to temperature and not just the soil type... as my Bermuda style grass went dormant EVERY year in winter regardless of traffic. Cover crops are often meant to be tilled in to replace nutrients lost in the soil.. Will your cover go dormant and let grass come back in season... Or will your cover crop grow year round? My neighbors used to toss rye grass (I think) that grew on top of the Bermuda during winter and the Bermuda came back in spring.. In California we were taught how important a green lawn (just for looking at) was... prior to our drought concerns.

I don't see anything that sounds dangerous to chickens for consumption. And a variety is fantastic! Hope this helps you figure it out! :fl

It says if not tilling it in to cut it down before it goes to seed.....not sure if you want to or will need to but hey it might mow just fine too.

Cannot hurt to try. I also see nothing dangerous in the mix.

We also have heavy clay soils. If you want to try grass again, till or break up the top 1-2" of soil prior to seeding. A soil test can be purchased at most big box garden centers for a few bucks. Use it to check ph and fertility and add lime and fertilizer as needed. Choose your seed but remember, cool season grasses like fescue will go dormant (turn brown) in hot summers and warm season grasses like Bermuda goes dormant in winter.
As for cover crops, they are usually temporary seedings intended to protect and replenish soil nutrients. Clovers are common choices becsuse the grow under most conditions and fix nitrogen in the soil so that the next planting/seeding as better soil in which to grow.
The seed mix you listed sounds like my cool season blend i use on my food plots for deer. It will green up well in early spring but expect some thinning by mid summer. Also most of those don't like to be cut as short as most folks keep their yard which could stress the plants.

My suggestion would be to stick with grass and go with the tried and true Pennington 31. Grows anywhere so long as the soil is properly prepared.

Back
Top Bottom