"Cover crop" for chickens?

Mine love wheat grass! I grow flats of it for them in the winter time, along with alfalfa sprouts, to make up for the lack of green feed they normally get foraging.

My chickens eat clover and young wheat seedlings. There is a cheap blend of wild bird seed available at my supermarket that turns out to be mostly radish seed. It grows really fast so I toss some about when rain is expected, and the chooks just love the seedlings. Having red half-pecked radish stumps in your lawn is a different look, so I'm trying to restrict my radish strewing activities to behind the house these days!

This time last year my yard was knee deep in Chickweed.
This year with umpteen free range chickens......the chickweed only survives outside of the fence!!!!! However, they don't seem to like the other weeds, so the yard has a kinda patchy, uneven look to it. Not that I care in the least
tongue.png

And my chickens won't touch a dandylion with a 10foot pole......Oh well, I think they are pretty enough. (As you can tell, I'm not overly concerned about having a monoculture in my lawn)

Back
Top Bottom