Cover for pop door while open?

My coop faces North also.

I put a 2' high x 3' long piece of plywood approc 18" from the pop door, its braced with some 1x2 to the wall of the coop.

So instead of coming straight out the pop door, the girls have to go right or left around the plywood.

It blocks the wind from running straight through the pop door.

I hope I explainded that good enough.

And they like to sit on it also.

David

I've been considering hanging some potato sack cloth strips or something similar to keep sparrows from stealing my hens' food* and for cleanliness after reading about all the disease they can carry.

*They really don't take much food, mostly it's a cleanliness issue.

I have a wind issue in both my coops also. The doors face the west and while winter prevailing winds are from the NW or NE, it still blows in. I was thinking of making a tunnel type thing to go over the ramp to the pullet palace, and maybe just a block on the other door. My 4 year olds aren't to brilliant so with my luck, any thing to compicated would seriously confuse them
roll.png

thanks for the ideas, got me thinkin'
smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the wonderful ideas. Wait till I tell
hubby I've got one more project with the coop.
Are we ever done?
hmm.png
idunno.gif

Last edited:
My pop door also faces north (southern Indiana here). I've done kind of what David did, but I did it with straw bales. I have them stacked around the pop door so that it creates a little enclosed porch like area, with only about a foot opening (off center so it's not a direct path to the pop door). It's been a great wind break!

Back
Top Bottom