1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

covered feeders

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by deechick, Sep 5, 2011.

1. deechick

deechick New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi Chicken Friends! I am about to put the "big girl feeder" in for my girls and I'm concerned that the feeder is not covered (it is an 11lb. hanging feeder in a covered coop). Should I be concerned about the food getting damp and moldy? Should I try to cover it some way? A hard blowing rain could get it wet. We are in SW Ga. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I cut wood circles to cover mine. No problem with rain. Just wanted to keep dust and chickens out.
    I wish "they" sold tight fitting covers.

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I had a problem with blowing rain last winter. My run is 12x14 and covered. The top of the feeder has a cover but the feed still got damp.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

[​IMG]
    Sometimes I put a canvas tarp over a sawhorse that looks like this underneath (where the feeders are) and when the rain blows it stays dry.

5. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used good quality weather stripping and a well placed hasp to keep mine dry. It's in the weather at all times and stays bone dry.
    [​IMG]

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    You know those thin plastic water catcher things you put under your flower pots? You can by them from walmart for like under a buck. I put a hole in it and slide it over the hook and it covers it completely but for a seven pound feeder I had to go to 18 inch to better cover for rain etc. It's dark but I will run outside and take a pic for you LOL... Give me a few minutes.

okay here it is..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  7. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    for me it works great. Some people put the food and water in the coop but I don't like the food they peck out to mix in with the wood shavings I have in the coop. Seems like they never eat it all and watste it.

8. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    I took the lid to a plastic ice cream bucket and cut a slit in it to slide over the hole in the feeder (I have a 7lb hanging feeder) - very similar to 202roosterlane's cover. I did it because one of my chickens flew up onto it one time and slipped down inside [​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Best feeder ever! I love KDK1's design so much, I made my hubby build one for my girls. It stays very dry inside and takes up very little coop space inside.

10. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    These are all nice ideas! Does anyone know how to make a feeder that is at least semi goat proof? Winter coming and won't be much to forage around for and my goats will eat all of the feed if I leave it out for my girls. I am starting to stress a bit over it and have been searching all summer for something to help me but no success.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by