Covert Chicken Op

MTlion86

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Henderson,NV
So I had an epiphany today, I am surrounded by load barking dogs, lots of pigeons and doves and a medium traffic road.( I know what your thinking I don't like it either:rolleyes:). Perfect cover noise for some quiet chickens, plus if nobody contacts the city about the dogs why would they bother for a couple clucks a day? I have planned the perfect coop/run design. A tool shed/coop, with an attached run surrounded by foliage. Only problem is fundange. First I need to build a taller fence in the back yard. I was thinking Buff orps, since I used to have one when I was way little.
What is the quietest breed of chicken? Does anybody have any covert chicken op stories to share?

Buff Orps. are very quiet and calm. This would be a good choice for "covert chickens."
Clumping bamboo makes a great screen and it is not invasive to the rest of your yard.

First check to see if chicken's are allowed where you are, if you haven't already. You'll be pretty surprised to know how many city's let you have a few chicken's for egglaying purposes. We can have as many chicks as we want up until 6 months old. Then after 6 month's we can only have 6. Roo's are fine here unless the neighbors complain. We had two that would crow and the neighbors didn't mind. We have since placed those two roos though.

We have two Buff Orps and just love them! They are the best girls ever. Very quiet, well behaved, and so loving. They jump right up for treats when we go out every morning.

No covert stories to share, but I see from a previous thread that you found that you can keep hens if neighbors within 350' consent.

I'm guessing they all didn't agree or you're not going to ask? Hope you're on good terms with them or at least are prepared to give up the birds should someone find out and complain.

Wayne

1 out of 5 agreed, 2 didn't respond, 2 were downright mean. I also have a backup plan if found out. My mom has 6 acres in Oregon, It would give me a nice reason to visit
wink.png

The biggest issue I think would be the clucking. But the only neighbor that goes in their backyard is the one that agreed to it. Plus the cover noise, and people hard of hearing.
P.S. I just got a dozen cheapo, store brand eggs today,$3 dollars a dozen! Holy moly, eggs have been my only source of protein, since meat got so expensive.

OK, but you have to name them:
James Bond, Austin Powers, Mata Hari, Rosenburg, Ames, Belle (Boyd), Casanova... get the picture? You could turn them into pullet names if need be: Jamie Bond, Austina, Mata Hari, Rose, Amy, Belle.
Happy hiding!
wink.png

I did something similar. It sounds like you already have a short fence? go to Lowe's and get some deer netting. 7 foot tall by 100 foot long for $12.50. Add it to the top of your fence. You can also cover the top, too.
I ended up with 20 chickens in a 8 x 12 coop built to look like a tool shed, but my closest neighbor thinks it's cool I got chickens. She says I need to keep the roosters to keep the girls happy, but they are going because the coop is 35 feet from my bedroom window. Nuff said there!
I have 5 black Austrolorps that are quiet, 3 Araucanas that are quiet, 5 Brahmas that are kind of vocal, a couple wyandottes kind of vocal, and 4 unidentified rust colored chickens that are noisy as teenage boys. When I get replacement chicks in the spring, I'm going with Austrolorps, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orps. Mayba a few more Araucanas, too.
Good luck getting stealth chickens, and may the force be with you......

Back
Top Bottom