Cow parsnip

I'm sorry to hear about your hen. If you still have the body, refrigerate it and send it to your state lab for necropsy. You can look up your lab here:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

If you are unable to send the body to the lab, then perhaps do an informal investigation yourself looking at the internal organs, reproductive system, etc. Take photos and we'll help you with what you see.

There are so many things that can go wrong, it would be hard to know what happened. Perhaps she was egg bound or if she was older, often they suffer from fatty liver disease, heart dysfunction and/or reproductive disorders like cancer, eyp, etc.

Do some research on Cow Parsnip, a quick search reveals that certain parts of the plant are edible. Looks like the issue is if you get the sap on skin and it's exposed to sun, it can cause a rash. Can't say that if enough was consume it could be toxic. Take some time and read up on the plant and come to your own conclusion.

Thanks Wyorp Rock,
I'm pretty familiar with cow parsnip. I handle it bare handed when ripping it out and shredding it. I've never had an issue with photo sensitivity.
I did a quick search of the net prior to posting question. I did not find an answer either way. My other birds seem fine.
My budget won't allow for sending out for necropsy. I've dressed many grouse and pheasants but I really don't want to cut her up. I want to remember running down the driveway to great me.

Thanks for the reply.
HHH

Back
Top Bottom