cow's milk

I just wanted to say that in response to someone who said their pediatrician said children under 2 should not drink raw milk...pish! Do your research for sure, but I was raised on raw goats milk, and I have plenty of friends who have joined the raw milk revolution, and feed it to their children under 2. It's all about the cleanliness of the animals and milking facility/process. The mainstream medical community says lots of things, but they are often way off base with their comments.

Last edited:
Quote:
Stopped using dairy...still remember the taste!
wink.png

I tell all my dairy friends that being a married to dairy cows is an addiction--a joke.

I married my wife, I refuse to marry a dairy animal where it is 2X a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, every year. If you let someone else milk her, she's liable to respond by not milking as well. That is why I pay whatever dairy products cost and do it GLADLY. both of my g'parents had a dairy, I avoided the addiction altho I do enjoy dairy animals--on someone elses farm.

Quote:
Very true!

coffeemomma-The issue of cleanliness and health of the animals wasn't a problem as they are ours and well taken care of. I've had many compliments from our vets on how well they are taken care of. The issue is naturally occurring bacteria (regardless of cleanliness there is still some)in the raw milk that young children won't be able to deal with as well. Of course, I'm talking about cows milk and maybe it is different for goats milk. I have talked with many older people who diary farmed and whose children where raised on cow's milk from little on and they all pasturized it before giving to the little ones.

If milk tastes or smells 'funny' some one is using very unclean practises and mishandling the milk.

I have a herd of dairy goats. We drink the milk and make cheese.

I also have a very nice lady who milks jersey's and we get milk from her too. The best cow milk I have ever had. Completely grass fed dairy cows. Makes incredible cheeses, yogurt, creams, butters, buttermilk, sour cream, etc.

Once you go raw you'll never want commercial milk again.

I am making cheese today.
big_smile.png

If milk tastes or smells 'funny' some one is using very unclean practises and mishandling the milk.

If a cow eats wild garlic, onions, and some weeds, their milk will take on that odor. Whatever goes into their digestion tract, goes into their blood, and the "odor" will affect the milk flavor.

Unclean practices and mishandling will also do that, even to "store bought" milk.

My wife buys that blue milk at the store, and it taste terrible. I wish we could get into a cow share with someone, but she insists that we need that skimmed two per cent stuff.

Look into a cow share. Most families can't drink enough milk to need a whole cow; cow share is the way to go.

Rufus

Last edited:
Quote:
I think organic whole milk would taste funny to someone used to what they sell in the store! What is sold in the stores taste nothing at all like the whole, raw milk I was raised on. So bland and tasteless...store bought...bah! Nothing in the world like whole, raw, creamy milk on blackberry cobbler! MMMMmmmmmmmmmm!

I agree! That is why we have our own cows and goats. I can't drink pasteurized milk without getting violently ill. Yet I can drink all the raw I want. Nothing compares with cheese made from good farm milk either.

The taste basically reminds me of the smell when I used to help my dad Kill and process cows. BLECH..... I just cant do it, but the skim milk from the dairy is fine by me. I think it might be the taste of the fat.

Back
Top Bottom