Coyote attack—left one hen with big gash!

I've used the same bottle of Vetericyn for my horses and other animals on a variety of chicken and turkey wounds, from deep to degloving type of injuries. Depending on how deep it is you do want things to heal from the inside out, just like a fleshier wounds on horses, cattle, sheep and such. BluKote drying and custing on a shallower wound is ok, but not the deeper ones. Are you using Scarlet Oil? Or is it just a BluKote in a red color?
If I remember correctly Scarlet Oil isn't as harsh as BluKote, but chicken flesh and skin can be more sensitive.
Vetericyn does a great job, keeps things moist, and doesn't promote (in my experience) early crusting and scabbing over leading to abscess.

I've used the same bottle of Vetericyn for my horses and other animals on a variety of chicken and turkey wounds, from deep to degloving type of injuries. Depending on how deep it is you do want things to heal from the inside out, just like a fleshier wounds on horses, cattle, sheep and such. BluKote drying and custing on a shallower wound is ok, but not the deeper ones. Are you using Scarlet Oil? Or is it just a BluKote in a red color?
If I remember correctly Scarlet Oil isn't as harsh as BluKote, but chicken flesh and skin can be more sensitive.
Vetericyn does a great job, keeps things moist, and doesn't promote (in my experience) early crusting and scabbing over leading to abscess.

Alright thanks for this info! Yes I am using scarlet oil. It’s phenol, scarlet red and isopropyl alcohol in a veg oil base.

The scab is well developed now, so I will have to give it a nice long soak in order to get the scab softened enough to apply some ointment in there. The skin is looking good and the wound is shrinking significantly from the first cleaning a few nights ago. She is also much more feisty as she seems to be healing. I could try the soaking and a swath of the vetericyn and then go back to the scarlet oil once I know the antibiotic ointments got in there.
Will try to post a pic tonight.

Thanks again!

Alright thanks for this info! Yes I am using scarlet oil. It’s phenol, scarlet red and isopropyl alcohol in a veg oil base.

The scab is well developed now, so I will have to give it a nice long soak in order to get the scab softened enough to apply some ointment in there. The skin is looking good and the wound is shrinking significantly from the first cleaning a few nights ago. She is also much more feisty as she seems to be healing. I could try the soaking and a swath of the vetericyn and then go back to the scarlet oil once I know the antibiotic ointments got in there.
Will try to post a pic tonight.

Thanks again!
If she's really feeling better, you could try coating the scab with a moisturizing type of oil, like food grade coconut oil or even kitchen olive oil. Let that soak in a bit to soften things while not having to struggle to soak her in water. Once it's softer it will be easier to wash and clean off with warm water. I'd leave off the Scarlet oil for a bit and opt for a plain neosporin type ointment until you know the danger of abscess is gone. Or spraying with Vetericyn several times a day until you see the deepest parts naturally.

Scarlet oil....I can't remember the last time I even saw a bottle of that stuff anywhere.... 🤔

If she's really feeling better, you could try coating the scab with a moisturizing type of oil, like food grade coconut oil or even kitchen olive oil. Let that soak in a bit to soften things while not having to struggle to soak her in water. Once it's softer it will be easier to wash and clean off with warm water. I'd leave off the Scarlet oil for a bit and opt for a plain neosporin type ointment until you know the danger of abscess is gone. Or spraying with Vetericyn several times a day until you see the deepest parts naturally.

Scarlet oil....I can't remember the last time I even saw a bottle of that stuff anywhere.... 🤔
It should say.....deepest parts starting to heal naturally. Sorry about that.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to post an update about Kevin-the-hen who suffered the attack and who this thread was about.

Well, she is completely healed!! like a champ. we spent 3 weeks inside next to the woodstove, doin as suggested by fellow backyard chicken-ers; cleaning the wound, adding extra protien, and keeping her still.

after 3 weeks of washing out, antibiotic ointment and the final applications of red-kote scarlet oil, when her pin feathers were starting to come in and she was taking no more of being messed with, we moved her to a dog crate with extra straw in the pantry and let her out during the day. a couple days after that she was foraging again, no longer afraid of the open area!

Then, the real ticket, she layed her first egg since the ordeal.

she is now back to being our porch-perching hen and looking in glass of the front door asking, “remember when i used to sit by the fire with you guys!?? can i come in and do that again!!?”

thanks everyone for the info and support!!

Attachments

• 8754590B-5AFC-4442-8683-B0D3379D46A2.jpeg
    8754590B-5AFC-4442-8683-B0D3379D46A2.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 564DEBC6-4F5D-49D7-8923-7C8C68050DEC.jpeg
    564DEBC6-4F5D-49D7-8923-7C8C68050DEC.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 49B34994-4307-43A2-AEB3-DF35A6B955C3.jpeg
    49B34994-4307-43A2-AEB3-DF35A6B955C3.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 06D29E8C-45A6-4ADC-89DF-33380E952AB7.jpeg
    06D29E8C-45A6-4ADC-89DF-33380E952AB7.jpeg