Coyote attack

SwtGrc

Chirping
Dec 2, 2017
Northern California
4FBC58B7-907A-48DD-8DE9-B7DA4891AE9F.jpeg 8483AFDD-5E65-48B8-A48E-EFD95F1D8A7D.jpeg 7228D42F-403E-49E2-96CC-509AF84A8293.jpeg CF134500-A8A4-43FF-9270-1767A2C57FAC.jpeg We lost our First Lady yesterday to a coyote. Unfortunately we’ve had trouble keeping them in our yard (still making adjustments to make it higher). My favorite and top girl of the pecking order, Betty White (an americauna):hitshe was only 10 months old.
I’m aware this is bound to happen and a little surprised it hadn’t happened sooner, but it still hurts to know she was scared for her life and desperately tried getting away.
I think the loss hit me hard because it came at a terrible time. I also found out my 2nd dog has cancer and he doesn’t have long. (Yep, 2 dogs with cancer in only 3 months) Sorry to unload personal things, I just want advice on how to deter predators from our property line??
Thanks guys!

Greetings SwtGrc,

I am so very sorry that you lost your hen to a coyote. I know how crushing it is to lose a beloved pet to a predator. I lost my black Ameruacana, Inky, last August to a bob cat. It jumped our 6 foot wrought iron fence, and grabbed Inky. I ran out of the house when I heard the commotion, but it hopped back over the fence with Inky. That animal was so powerful and fast, I was helpless. Sigh...:(

My rooster was also attacked, by a coyote over two years ago. But, thankfully he survived the attack, because I was near by, and ran to his rescue.

Hawks and large eagles, fly over daily. There are so many predators out there. It is impossible to prevent them from stalking your chickens. They are just doing what they were designed for, hunting. I fenced my entire two acres, with a 6 foot pole/welded wire fence, other parts have a five foot wood fence, we also have electrified the portion of fence that faces wilderness (250 feet). We have a good dog, motion detectors that alert us in the house, and predator eyes around the run for night time.

But, the very best security system, is me. I wear a hunting knife on my hip, keep a long pole with me, and I monitor my chickens along with my dog, while they are out foraging. I haven't lost a chicken since I started to do security detail. My dog alerted me to, two bob cats at the edge of my property, just this week! If I can't be out there, the chickens have to stay in their secured run. I let them out from 3-6 p.m., and I clean up or just sit and watch them. I have come to enjoy this activity, they are so entertaining, and they need their exercise too.

So, yes, security detail is the best deterrent for predators. But, be aware...a coyote will come into your property, even if you are there, if it is hungry enough to risk it. That's what happened the day my rooster was attacked. You just can't underestimate a predator of any kind. You just have to be ready to rock and roll!

There's always going to be some risk, but you can minimize it.

These are my thought on predators, I hope they have been helpful.

God Bless :)

This sounds horrible, but it works for coyotes and will run them off for about 3 years. Shoot one and hang it on the fence, in a tree, must be in an un-natural position. If you shoot one and leave it lay there, they will just eat it.
Good luck!

Greetings SwtGrc,

I am so very sorry that you lost your hen to a coyote. I know how crushing it is to lose a beloved pet to a predator. I lost my black Ameruacana, Inky, last August to a bob cat. It jumped our 6 foot wrought iron fence, and grabbed Inky. I ran out of the house when I heard the commotion, but it hopped back over the fence with Inky. That animal was so powerful and fast, I was helpless. Sigh...:(

My rooster was also attacked, by a coyote over two years ago. But, thankfully he survived the attack, because I was near by, and ran to his rescue.

Hawks and large eagles, fly over daily. There are so many predators out there. It is impossible to prevent them from stalking your chickens. They are just doing what they were designed for, hunting. I fenced my entire two acres, with a 6 foot pole/welded wire fence, other parts have a five foot wood fence, we also have electrified the portion of fence that faces wilderness (250 feet). We have a good dog, motion detectors that alert us in the house, and predator eyes around the run for night time.

But, the very best security system, is me. I wear a hunting knife on my hip, keep a long pole with me, and I monitor my chickens along with my dog, while they are out foraging. I haven't lost a chicken since I started to do security detail. My dog alerted me to, two bob cats at the edge of my property, just this week! If I can't be out there, the chickens have to stay in their secured run. I let them out from 3-6 p.m., and I clean up or just sit and watch them. I have come to enjoy this activity, they are so entertaining, and they need their exercise too.

So, yes, security detail is the best deterrent for predators. But, be aware...a coyote will come into your property, even if you are there, if it is hungry enough to risk it. That's what happened the day my rooster was attacked. You just can't underestimate a predator of any kind. You just have to be ready to rock and roll!

There's always going to be some risk, but you can minimize it.

These are my thought on predators, I hope they have been helpful.

God Bless :)
Thank you so much for your words.
I will not be as careless for now on and I’m finishing the fence as I type.
I know it may sound foolish and might not work but I’m going to string bells (jingle bells) several feet from the fence line, around the perimeter of my property to help alert both me and the ladies in case a coyote or other ground predator decides to come close.
Wish me luck

Back
Top Bottom