Coyote Attack

MrsAuberry00

Songster
Apr 30, 2017
Southern Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I don't really need any advice, I'm just heartsick. After losing one hen on Saturday to sour crop complications, two coyotes snatched the last of my original flock...the hen I've had the longest. Now my 2 year-old Roo and my four 5 month pullets are to forever remained locked in their 12' x 6' covered dog run attached to a small 6' x 6' raised coop, (not including the depth of the nesting boxes on each side.)

We've never had a coyote problem so that wasn't on the list of predators I've worried about. I'm so angry I could scream! I want to find out what the laws are and go on a coyote hunt if it's legal. If anyone has any suggestions about ways to make sure my coop set up is secure, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thank you for reading my vent. I'm gutted by this. :(

I'm so sorry for your losses! If it's legal where you live, electric fencing will keep most ground predators out. See Premier1supplies for products and advice, and Howard E and cmom on this site.
Sooner or later every imaginable critter will arrive after your birds, and it's time to upgrade your defenses!
Shooting that one coyote will be satisfying, but more will show up over time. For now your birds do need to be locked in, and do post pictures here.
Mary

I don't really need any advice, I'm just heartsick. After losing one hen on Saturday to sour crop complications, two coyotes snatched the last of my original flock...the hen I've had the longest. Now my 2 year-old Roo and my four 5 month pullets are to forever remained locked in their 12' x 6' covered dog run attached to a small 6' x 6' raised coop, (not including the depth of the nesting boxes on each side.)

We've never had a coyote problem so that wasn't on the list of predators I've worried about. I'm so angry I could scream! I want to find out what the laws are and go on a coyote hunt if it's legal. If anyone has any suggestions about ways to make sure my coop set up is secure, I'd be happy to hear them.

Best bet is talk to the local fish and game/wildlife people , each state has different rules, but generally if you catch em on your property where you have had depredation it is perfectly legal to kill em defending your flock, some states pay for animals that are lost to wild life depredation but not sure if every one does, though that isn't any consolation for the ones you had.

I have electric wire around my coops and pens. They coyotes know it's there but won't touch it.
DSCF0002112019 02.jpg

Best bet is talk to the local fish and game/wildlife people , each state has different rules, but generally if you catch em on your property where you have had depredation it is perfectly legal to kill em defending your flock, some states pay for animals that are lost to wild life depredation but not sure if every one does, though that isn't any consolation for the ones you had.

Where we live, it’s legal to shoot them as long as they’re on your property. We have cornfields around our property and the owners approval to shoot on their land. They’re as tired of the coyotes tearing up their crops as we are of the dogs barking at them all night.

In most places it is legal to kill coyotes if they are a threat to you animals or livestock. I have a neighbor who has goats. He never shuts them up at night but lets them roam in his pasture. Most every time one of the goats would have a kid a coyote would get the goat kids. He no longer has a billy so no more kids.

I don't really need any advice, I'm just heartsick. ------ If anyone has any suggestions about ways to make sure my coop set up is secure, I'd be happy to hear them.

Do you have any pictures of you coop setup?

Back
Top Bottom