Coyote potential

patrolman490

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Hello All;

Just wondering, beginning stages of putting the coup etc together and already I am getting concerns from my neighbors that the chickens will attract coyotes. I should say that we live in a suburban area and my house backs up to about 60 or 70 acres. I guess the potential is there and I intend on making my coup like Fort Knox, but I wanted to know if any others have had this concern with their neighbors and some strategies to allay their fears about the coyotes.

Thanks

Use hardware cloth on your fencing.

Bend it into an"L", attach to the inside of your run and bury the outside part 3-4 inches, then cover and plant something. Coyotes and other predators will try to dig under your fence. They'll hit the wire (hardward cloth) and give up.

secure your gate with chain links attached with a security snap, so that nothing can grab and pull open it.

Also, make a roof for your run out of hardware cloth OR chicken wire.

Are your neighbors concerned because they think the coyotes your chickens attract will then be a danger to their pets? If they have anything worth eating, the coyotes are already there!

My neighbors are both concerned about the danger or coyotes to their pets and children in the neighborhood. I have told them that I would take care of any coyotes that I see, and I have not heard of coyotes bothering people where I live in Massachusetts. I have alos told them that we don't have many "roadrunners" around so it shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Thanks

We have lots of coyotes. We see them almost every day. They have never been a problem to us, our chickens, our goats, or our pets. There are two reasons for this. One, there is plenty for them to eat here, and two, we have dogs that will chase them off. A guard dog, like a pyranees will keep them away. Your chickens are not going to attract coyotes any more than their toy poodles or siamese cats will. Tell your neighbors to go worry about something else.

If any of these neighbors keep and feed pets in their back yards and are backed up to a rural area then they've likely already had coyotes sniffing around, they just don't know it. As far as coyotes coming into the neighborhood and bothering kids, give me a break! They need to worry more about some crazy human stalking their kids then a coyote!

Your's and your neighbor's garbage will attract them more than pets or chickens will. It don't run, fly or bite.

Your neighbors need not worry about the coyotes attacking their children. That won't happen. It is doubtful that they will attack their pets, either, as someone said before, if they wanted them, they would have already taken them. I have been trapping for a while now, and most people don't realize that coyotes are pretty skittish animals. Just be sure your chickens are secure... you're the one with something to worry about, not your neighbors. Good luck!
smile.png

Quote:
12953931.jpg

06/07/04 Simi Valley police shoot coyote suspected in child attacks
SIMI VALLEY, Calif. - Police shot to death a coyote they believe attacked four children, including a 3-year-old who was hospitalized with bites to his neck, face, head and ear, authorities said Monday.
....snip....
Officers were first summoned to a home where witnesses said boys ages 2 and 3 were attacked as they played in their back yard. The coyote bit one of them on the right ankle and the other on the left ankle before neighbors chased it away, May said.
The animal then surfaced a few blocks away, where it scratched a 7-year-old boy on the ankle.
While searching the area for the coyote, the officers got a report that it had surfaced again, near Canyon View Drive, where it grabbed a 3-year-old boy by the head and attempted to drag him away.
The officers located the animal and opened fire after it threatened to attack them, May said. It was struck by two bullets. Read the full account here. One boy, Weston Field, while on his porch, was bitten on the face, ear, neck, hand and head by the coyote.

More coyote ATTACKS

If all you have is a 70ac parcel behind you, I wouldn't be too concerned about having any coyotes there.

Plus here's a link to the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, that give some good advice about coyotes.
Coyotes
I'd be more concerned about raccoons.
Raccoons

Will

Back
Top Bottom