Coyote-proof coop?

I have a raised coop (about 3.5 ft off the ground), and lock them inside at night. When I wasn't locking them in, I lost 2 birds in less than a week. A rifle also works great for 'yote control. I have Hogwire overtop of Chickenwire (as someone said, it's junk - it doesn't even keep my chickens in. I've watched my Leghorn chew right through it if she really wants out) and I am going to be replacing it with Stucco wire. There was a low spot in my current makeshift fence about 4 ft high - I watched a Coyote jump right over it with a chicken in it's mouth.. so build your fences high as they can jump!!

I've had plenty of coyotes and raccoons circling our run throughout the night but are birds are safe. We turn the horse stall into the coop and put a small run outside the dairy barn.
We've learned to surround the coop completely.
We also buried the fence to keep burrowing foxes/ coyotes out.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
I live in the city limits, so no guns allowed. I just watch a video of a coyote jumping a six foot fence, just hoped right up like a cat. So I'm thinking a top is a must. Thank you for letting me know about the chicken wire. Look like I need to be replacing that as soon as I can. My girls were not happy tonight when I locked them in their coop, but it's the only to make sure they are safe until I can fix their run.

csforest..............I agree with all the helpful advise given in the above thread.......I build all my pens using 4 x 4 (treated) burried 16 inches in the ground and about 80 to 100 lbs of
redi-mix concrete holding each post .....I space my post about 6 to 8 feet. About 3 inches from the ground up on all the post I drill a 1 inch hole and route 1/2 inch re-bar through
the holes of each post. Then I use 5/4 (five quarter) decking 5 1/2 inch tall as form boards and run them on each side of the bottom of the post, going post to post. before I pour
the cement in this form, I run heavy galvanized chicken wire or 12 1/2 gauge dog wire flat on the ground about 18 inches away from the post. When I pour the concrete, it traps the
wire and when it dries, remove the form boards, and add limestone drive gravel on top of the wire. You can also use weed cloth under the limestone to keep the weed growth out
of the limestone. (looks better that way) When that is all done, I run 1" chicken wire on EVERYTHING, sides, ends, and top, securing with fence staples. Over the top of the Chicken
wire I run 2 x 4 dog wire 12 1/2 gauge galvanized on top of that, sides, ends, and top. So far I have not had bobcats, coyotes, neighbors dogs or anything except a few determined]
snakes try to get in. I also run 2 or 3 strands of electric fence wire from 6 " to 12" from the ground up. Great deterent. One last thing I do, is play a small radio 24 hours a day on a
nice country music station, inside the coop or building, with lots of human voices...................................................best to you..............k4eqh.....................zip

FuzzyButtz..............see your local co-op, you can get 6 foot 12 1/2 gauge galvanized DOG WIRE in 100 foot rolls for just alittle over
$100.00. It is easy to work with, put it on sides, ends, and on the top of your runs, and it will keep most preditors out, cept mabe
a bear.......................................k4eqh.................zip

FuzzyButtz..............see your local co-op, you can get 6 foot 12 1/2 gauge galvanized DOG WIRE in 100 foot rolls for just alittle over
$100.00. It is easy to work with, put it on sides, ends, and on the top of your runs, and it will keep most preditors out, cept mabe
a bear.......................................k4eqh.................zip

Nice! I'll have to look into that.. I know most people 'round here use the heavy Stucco wire that comes in 1x2" squares, and it's $100.00 for 100 ft.. i'll have to ask the representative what he has in stock. My current makeshift hogwire/chickenwire fence is just temporary anyways.

FuzzyButtz..........good deal, I am not familiar with the "Stucco wire" and "I" may have to look into that as well............I could use that on some small cages that I need to build

around here for young birds....portable things on wheels that I can move around the basement..........thankx for the suggestion...........k4eqh...........zip

Unfortunately my area has coyotes that are out during the day. Even though I lock my flock up each night, I had one yesterday take out a rooster and a hen in broad daylight just around 1:00pm. Don't know what to do because I would like to continue letting the flock out to roam during the day.

Back
Top Bottom