Coyote-proof coop?

csforest

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
Woodinville, WA
We have a lot of coyotes around here. We have seen them wandering right through our yard. Is there a good, sturdy coyote-proof coop design? We don't have any chickens yet but we'd like to get some for egg-laying, probably just 3-4 hens. No roosters, no breeding.

Figure coyotes are like dogs, only maybe smarter. So far, knock on wood, my local coyote pack has not been coming down in my yard, but I have lost a lot of birds to peoples loose dogs. Figure what ever you do has to be higher than 6 feet, most big dogs and coyotes can jump at least that high and lots can climb over fences higher than that. Figure your fencing needs to be really strong and stretched tight, weld wire or chain link. Remember chicken wire keeps nothing at all out and only serves to keep chickens in. Add a 'skirt' of fencing about 18-24 inches wide flat on the ground around the outside and put some heavy rock on top of that, most diggers will hit the wire and quit. Some electric fencing around the outside will also help.

I had dogs tear into home made rabbit cages covered in half inch hardware cloth; they did not pop the staples, they literally bit holes in it and got to the rabbits. The survivors happened to be in dog crates. They were able to paw at them through the wires but couldn't bite them. The heavy guage wire and welded joints were what saved those rabbits.

Well if you have those around I'd probably skip leaving the birds access to a run at night, now I do know some run Hotwire only that would probably deter a determined pack.

As for a building?(coop) you need solid and strong, for sure heavy gauge wire on windows screwed and washers being used. Where I live we have coyotes and wolves but they don't come around the coops were fortunate they stay in the wooded parts but I know of others near the coyote trails as its called around here suffer lose often, at anytime sadly.

Once we settle down, hopefully this year, we will build a 10 x 10 Clerestory Shed .THe shorter half will house the chickens and the other side will house any feed and supplies. Clerestory have no windows on the walls , only on top and maybe on the roof. Keeps pretty much preds out but still lets sunlight in. THe fence will be ft ft high with 1-2 rows of electric fence running on the outside. This should keep pretty much everything where it belongs

Once we settle down, hopefully this year, we will build a 10 x 10 Clerestory Shed .THe shorter half will house the chickens and the other side will house any feed and supplies. Clerestory have no windows on the walls , only on top and maybe on the roof. Keeps pretty much preds out but still lets sunlight in. THe fence will be ft ft high with 1-2 rows of electric fence running on the outside. This should keep pretty much everything where it belongs
Sounds like Fort Knox
ya.gif

The portable coop that I build will keep out coyote's. The bottom 24" is enclosed so that when they start digging they loose sight of the prey, then they pop their head back up to make sure the prey has not moved. They do this every few seconds and finally frustrate themselves. Even if they were to continue digging they will have to dig their entire body depth and length because they cannot wedge this coop up like they can do a fence. Finally, the welded wire keeps them out because they cannot tear or break it. This coop is 6x14 and serves as a total habitat for chickens, run and elevated house. By moving forward every 2-3 days you eliminate odor, manure buildup, mud, and you give them fresh grass, bugs, weed, seed and other free range benefits. Check out our facebook page for more pictures.

I need to Coyote proof my coop and run, but I don't know were to start. 1st I have a 6 food high fence around my yard, but just saw video of a coyote jumping one. The coyote stay away from my house during the day. So I think it mostly the night time that I have to worry about.

If I locked my chickens in there coop at night, should I put water and food in their coop. What time should I let the out. I get up at 6:30 to get my kids off to school, and I notice that they are up and going even thought its dark outside.

I don't have much money to make my run safer, but would it help to have a run with a fence roof top on it.

Already got some good ideas from the post, but I can't use electric fence.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom