Run extension - electric fence?

Coralista

Chirping
Dec 16, 2020
Oregon
We have 6 chickens (would like to get 3 more). We have a coop that is 6' x 8'. The run is 6' x 13'. We will be extending the run by another 8 feet this summer. In the meantime, I'd like to give the girls more free-range room if possible. Has anyone done this for day use with an electric fence? I've seen several setups here, but I know it depends on what you are protecting against.

We do get coyotes that come snooping around once in a while, but they take a look and move along, which is too much work. Or is this a bad idea that has not been considered?

Attachments

• PXL_20211221_173829376.jpg
    PXL_20211221_173829376.jpg
    958 KB · Views: 25
I have run a lowish electric fence wire via my existing wood fence to keep dogs out. It works. I used electric fencing with my horses years ago and I find it to be the best solution for many situations. If you have it, use it!

In Arkansas I had an 8' x 12' coop, a 12' x 32' main run, and an area over 2,000 square feet inside electric netting. We had fox, coyote, dogs, raccoons, skunks, bobcat, and possums roaming in the area. The electric netting stopped all of those.

I'd suggest you consider the 48" high 50' long netting. Do not set it up in a long narrow strip but make the area as square as you can. When a chicken is trying to get away from another they can get trapped against the fence if it is pretty narrow. I often had this when my cockerels were juveniles but occasionally a hen wanted to get away from an amorous rooster. When they are trying to get away they can go vertical and fly over the fence. Other than something like that mine never got out.

I have used electric netting for years. We have had coyote, coydogs, neighbor dogs, fox, raccoon, possum, cats. The electric netting stops them all. As Ridgerunner suggested, get the 48" tall netting. You will probably need extra posts.

Back
Top Bottom