coyote proofing dog run around coop

I did it for cosmetic reasons. I did not want to see any wire outside the run and have the grass fully in tack.

Does wire 1 foot underground look any different than wire 1 INCH underground?

If you DON'T dig, your grass IS intact the entire time, since it's not been disturbed at all​

Last edited:
How do i deal with the gate?

If there is nothing at all beneath the gate, put down a wide piece of wire that extends out on both the inside and the outside, and cover with a layer of dirt..

If there is a railing beneath the gate you can attach the apron with wire or zip ties.

You MAY actually want to dig a little under the gate because sometimes grass won't grow well with all the traffic.

Predators aren't smart enough to know to dig under the gate instead of somewhere else, so the odds are good they won't choose there anyway​

Quote:
Does wire 1 foot underground look any different than wire 1 INCH underground?

If you DON'T dig, your grass IS intact the entire time, since it's not been disturbed at all

why so angry because i did it different? We both have different methods.

Mine does not extend outwards just down. zero grass disturbed. Yours extends outward 2 ft

My coop is supposed to arrive this week! Hooray! I just came in from outside preparing the area under the chain link fence that is around the yard. I wanted to get the"apron"
area started where the coop will sit because I wouldn't have easy access too that area once the coop arrives. Thought I would check BYC for suggestions on what wire is good
for that use -- what won't rust and what will last longest. What a lucky break to catch this thread! I have been working frantically digging around the fence and hitting rocks,
the cement post footers etc. Now, thanks to the brilliant idea of not burying the wire I have another way to go about it... and more time to do it in. THANKS for sharing your
best ideas!! Question now is, what type of wire and gauge will hold up best --- hardware cloth ? welded wire? THanks so much .
big_smile.png

why so angry because i did it different?

What make you think I'm angry just because I asked a simple question?

The comment about disturbing grass wasn't just for your benefit alone.

One poster dug a trench 2ft wide and 1ft deep.

That's a lot of cubic feet of earth to move when you consider 1 cubic foot is about 7.5 gallons of dirt, and they were moving 15 gallons of dirt for every linear foot of trench.

A few more calculations will tell you that for every 13.5 linear feet using those dimensions, you will have moved about 3000 lbs of soil.

It's pure fact, with no "anger" involved.​

what type of wire and gauge will hold up best --- hardware cloth ? welded wire? THanks so much .

I use leftover pieces of the same wire I use for the run.

Digging predators tend to be larger, so up to 2 X 4 galvanized welded wire works about as well as hardware cloth for most of them, and is MUCH cheaper.

If you have lots of weasels or skunks., you might want to use 2 X 2 or smaller
The heavier the gauge (the smaller the number) the longer it will last.

I've pulled up old wire that had been in the ground more than 40 years and although it was rusty, it was still pretty strong​

Okay, really really really last question, I hope! I have been working on this all afternoon in the cold rain. I'm slow and inexperienced but determined. I finished about 60% of it as per everyone's excellent suggestions and I only slammed my thumb with a mallet once! I was trying to do the second long side and I can't for the life of me lift the dog run enough to feed the hardware cloth underneath. I realize now it's because the other sides are anchored down. Why didn't I lay it all underneath first? ROOKIE MISTAKE!!! Anyhow, my question: If the part on the inside of the coop only feeds a few inches up rather than a whole foot, will it be equally safe? Thanks in advance!!! Sandy

I have raccoons and skunks and ground hogs -- that I know of. I think I'll try the 2X2 welded wire. Thanks for your helpful expertise.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom