Coyote trapping

I knew someone who really wanted to kill the coyote on his farm, his mentor told him if you have a Coyote you are doing something wrong. I kinda took that as a life lesson.

Coyote behavior is largely regional. They are pack animals in the pnw but the are solo in some areas. They do tend to be shy so consider a motion activated light or alarm. They are oppertunist so if you can deter them for a minute they should forget your there.

Pellet guns will do the job up
Pellet guns are NOT sufficient to dispatch some critters humanly.
My husband, who is a hunter and trapper, once had to shoot a opossum 9 times with a 22 to finally kill it. With a pellet gun it would likely be pretty tramatic and cruel for both parties involved.
For myself, i tend to drop my live traps in the rainbarrel. Drowning is Not the worst death. Just this winter thre was a possum who crawled into our neighbors coop one evening and they killed it with an iron bar. The next morning they had to kill it again with a shovel and decapitate it to make sure it was dead.
In this day and age in some comunities, if you were seen out in a yard at night with a pellet gun in your hand.....this story could be severly misunderstood. Just watch the news.
Nobody gets arrested or friendy fire from owning and using a rain barrell.

That trap can catch cats if you use something cats like, and will catch skunks as well. They apparently love marshmallows. Here is a tip for releasing skunks from this type of trap. Approach slowly and quietly, holding a blanket in front of you so the animal doesn't see you. Drape the blanket over the skunk. Pinning it in place, reach down and release the trap. Move slowly and quietly. The skunk will have a severely injured paw from all the thrashing around it does to try to get free, but it can survive that and live.
I speak from experience.
I’ve caught hundreds of raccoons in dp pull only traps. I have never caught a cat and that’s setting in area with a ridiculous amount of barn type cats. Also if that skunk had a severely injured paw then your method of releasing shouldn’t be recommended.

I believe our poster probably has racoons doing this damage. They can damage that golf ball with there jaws. They know about this place offering up treats (eggs) for them in the past and are not opposed to fresh duck meat.
My husband is a very good trapper and believe me he has it down to a science. Boiling, dying and waxing traps, wearing gloves and special boots used only outside for trapping.
Blind sets, conabear, snares, leg holds. He has perfected the aging of red squirell carcus in a covered bucket that will entice the most elusive coyote. They can not resist it!
We also have 4 dogs, our neighbors have dogs, so this trapping is done carefully and precisely to avoid non target animals.
This is something he started when a teen and has a lifetime of experience and study to make him very succesfull at. He is now 66.
Saying all of this, you must understand, you can not just go buy some trap and catch a coyote in it. Even if you did, another preditor will just move in next week.
Your best answer is to build a secure coop and run for your ducks.
I am sorry for your loss. I know how it feels.

I’ve caught hundreds of raccoons in dp pull only traps. I have never caught a cat and that’s setting in area with a ridiculous amount of barn type cats. Also if that skunk had a severely injured paw then your method of releasing shouldn’t be recommended.

The “pull only” part of that is the key maybe?

I’ve barely used “dog proof” myself, but let me ask for the benefit of others, if you happen to know if there are som dp’s that trigger on the push?

As for releasing a skunk, to me the question is not how, but why? ;) I don’t like having those stinkers around.

The “pull only” part of that is the key maybe?

I’ve barely used “dog proof” myself, but let me ask for the benefit of others, if you happen to know if there are som dp’s that trigger on the push?

As for releasing a skunk, to me the question is not how, but why? ;) I don’t like having those stinkers around.
The Duke brand dog proof style traps are pull only. Coon daggers can be push/pull or pull only, freedom brand and some of the others are push/pull. I’ve seen a red fox caught in a pull only duke so it can happen but you could also win the lottery so it’s so rare it’s not worth mentioning.

...leg holds

Pssst... it’s “foot holds” not “leg holds”

This kind of goes to one of the biggest misconceptions I’ve seen on this site concerning trapping...

Speaking from experience I can tell you that footholds are a catch and release trap if you take the time to understand how they work and don’t work.

A properly selected and placed foothold catches the critter across the pad of the foot... I’ve released dogs, down to little beagles from footholds, and other than numb toes, and maybe a bit of soreness... they were fine....

...but it’s about proper trap size and location... meaning there are certain places in near proximity to houses etc that I don’t set, or I set differently.... so a bit of common sense and personal responsibility goes a long way here... I’m sure your husband has both, most experienced trappers do.

That trap can catch cats if you use something cats like, and will catch skunks as well. They apparently love marshmallows. Here is a tip for releasing skunks from this type of trap. Approach slowly and quietly, holding a blanket in front of you so the animal doesn't see you. Drape the blanket over the skunk. Pinning it in place, reach down and release the trap. Move slowly and quietly. The skunk will have a severely injured paw from all the thrashing around it does to try to get free, but it can survive that and live.
I speak from experience.
We will have to agree to disagree, the trap cannot catch skunks or cats. They cannot curl their paws in the manner needed to catch them. I have multiple cats here is why I use them.

There are some people that think trapping an animal is never the right thing to do (PETA people), there are others like myself that think dispatching a predator is the only sure way of controlling them. The two types will never agree.

I am sure it has to do with how and where we grew up, I grew up decades ago on a rural farm, predator control means removing the predator. I do not and will not ever have the money to make my farm predator proof. I take the steps I can but I will not spend tens of thousands and force my animals to live in confinement.

I am done with this thread, as I have seen these devolve into nasty shouting matches. It is not worth it, We each have said our piece and should move one.

I would not have responded this time except I could not let the misinformation about the trapping device stand.
Have a great day.

Last edited:
We will have to agree to disagree, the trap cannot catch skunks or cats. They cannot curl their paws in the manner needed to catch them. I have multiple cats here is why I use them.
Yes they can buts it’s rare. I’ve seen a skunk in one before too. The point is it’s very rare. A cat or fox could have one paw inside while batting at the trigger assembly firing the trap and catching the animal. I set them around cats all the time and if set correctly it’s very unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom