Coyote trapping

I’ve caught hundreds of raccoons in dp pull only traps. I have never caught a cat and that’s setting in area with a ridiculous amount of barn type cats. Also if that skunk had a severely injured paw then your method of releasing shouldn’t be recommended.
Sure! Your results may vary. All I can give is our own personal recommendation, plus wildlife rehabilitators' words that a skunk with a disabled paw can still defend itself and go on with its life until it heals. I'm not an expert though, so I'm sure that various circumstances at various times would yield various results. My own (indoor only) cats are very clever at reaching down into little bottles of baby food with their paws and fishing out paw-fulls of baby food so, who knows? :)

I’m thinking it was a fox now. I called a wildlife control professional today and secured my remaining duck in her coop at dusk. She seems to be doing a little better. She is eating and drinking on her own and even came out of the coop for a while to forage.

Thanks everyone for the lively discussion! I learned a lot and feel that my obsession with trapping the culprit was reactionary to losing my beloved ducks. Besides mice, I’ve never trapped anything. I feel a little foolish for thinking I could trap a large carnivore, and that would make the world safe again!

They were my first ducks, but they certainly won’t be the last.

Attachments

• 259CA967-8D8F-41D5-AB0B-2F3DB981CF64.jpeg
    259CA967-8D8F-41D5-AB0B-2F3DB981CF64.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 5
  • D801BF1D-44E3-46ED-AEE6-880321262BBC.jpeg
    D801BF1D-44E3-46ED-AEE6-880321262BBC.jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 4
I was letting my ducks stay out at night because it was such a fight to get them in the coop. Then an owl made off with 2. I compromised with the ducks by locking them in the yard at night which is 8x8 covered in hardware cloth. They still feel like they are staying out but they are safely in a cube of hardware cloth. I don't know if that's an option for you. Also after the owl attack I kept them in the yard exclusively for about a week so the owl wasn't looking.
I was getting complacent because we live in the suburbs, in a gated community. Our neighbors had been feeding them, so the usual shaking of the treat bag wasn’t enticing them to come to bed without a fuss. We were all sick and it was raining. What could possibly happen, right?

Coyotes here have been known to double team my dogs in order to get my chickens.
One gets the attenation of the dogs and they give chase in one direction. Then while that is happening the other coyote dashes in from the opposite direction and grabbs a chicken.
Also they have been known to prey on dogs. one coyote luring your dog a distance from your house. Then into an area where the rest of the coyote pack ambushes and tears the dog appart.
This has happened to several people in this area.

Nope, it didn't at all....my reminder was more in response to the "dispatch" method debate.

But I'm going to ramble on generally in your direction now... so don't take that as really meant for you either ;) ...

I'm pretty open minded about other people thinking differently than me, and adopting other solutions than what I choose and I know this stuff is never always black or white... Your approach isn't so different than my own, other than I do trap in a preventative manner around my coop... at least for raccoons... we have coyotes and foxes, but I don't expect them to be a real problem for my chickens... but if it happens I'll deal with it.

I've trapped different properties here and there, and often the goal is to reduce the nest robbing critters (skunks, possums, coons) to help populations of ground nesting birds such as quail and turkey... sometimes the goal is to remove coyotes to help fawns survive in order to help the deer herd..... sometimes it's both, sometimes it's something else....

It's always just management of a wildlife population or dealing with a specific problem... it's never about true eradication as many seem to assume.... So I naturally carry this idea of managing populations over to defending a poultry flock.

Now is this management effort long term? It just depends on the effort you put into it each year as far as how long it will be helpful... but I assure you if I remove a lot of raccoons in the fall, the number of hungry mommas with hungry kits I have in the early summer and the number of teenage raccoons I have in late summer is going to be much smaller.

As an example: I had a friend with 100 acres remove something like 75 raccoons and possums in a matter of 2 weeks the first year that farm was trapped... can we expect that helped the quail, turkey and even cottontail populations on that farm?... of course it did. Did it wipe out the raccoons and possums long term?... of course not. And so it's the same thing for anyone around their coop... reduced numbers simply means reduced opportunities for problems... but you are never going to remove them all or prevent more from moving in.

But I guess it's important to remember too, that if someone lives in town, they might actually have more raccoons and red foxes... and in many places these days maybe more coyotes... than I have living in the sticks.... and they will have a much smaller area that they can control to remove critters... so they have the problem of defending their coop from a large surrounding population of chicken eaters... it's a different ball game than what many other folks face.

I know what I'd do in that situation, but it's hard to know what to tell others sometimes... and some of the reasons it's hard to do so, is because of some general lack of understanding, as well as a lack of details, and a lack of knowing what details to provide.... and well let's just say it out loud... there is often a lot of misinformation on these threads that comes from folks with knowledge but no experience:
  • Knowledge ( I read this, so I know it)
  • Experience ( I read this, so I know it... AND ...I did it, so I now also know what I don't know).
I don't comment on threads about how to treat chicken health issues, because I've never done it, and I'm unlikely to ever do most any of it... but I do read them some times, so I have knowledge of certain issues of that type... but I think it would be silly for me to tell someone else how to apply this or that medicine when I've never done it.

Likewise on these predator problem discussions, I see a lot of misinformation handed around, based on assumptions and guesses, and regurgitated knowledge, and a few things tend to happen:
  • bickering
  • confusion
  • nonsensical suggestions that are obviously detached from experience
And there's one thing that often never happens... the OP getting help with the problem.

Which brings me back around (finally) to the point about the ethics of how to dispatch the critter... it seems a bit premature to get into that before the critter is caught, or the species is identified ;) ... but that's pretty typical of how these threads tend to go.

Certainly, I've contributed to the noise from time to time too, and I'm not at all against a nice discussion on coyotes or coyote behavior, etc.... but maybe that can come a little later?

I guess I would just ask everyone to focus more on helping the OP of these discussions learn what details to provide in order to be able to offer targeted suggestions.... and less on guessing and providing broad strokes of general information about this critter or that critter, or this approach or that approach to dealing with critters... at least until we've helped determine some basic information, that get's the OP closer to some help in dealing with the problem that they've created the post for.[/QUOTE)

I totally see your point and it's valid also though I have been in an emergency and old threads are the only info so I'm trying to think for future reference. Many of us never consider but would like to know if this may hurt other animals and having more info is better for making better informed devisions This farmers quote tlis something that pops into my head often for non farming problems. If there is a coyote on your farm you are doing something wrong. That boy wanted to kill that coyote that's the easy solution but what else can you do? That's harder

...This farmers quote tlis something that pops into my head often for non farming problems. If there is a coyote on your farm you are doing something wrong.

I guess I never quite understood the point your old farmer was making... I have coyotes around here all the time, they come and go as they please... what would the farmer think I’m doing wrong?

I loved your comment I think we have a similar philosophy I will tell you what worked for me please tell me what worked for you and in the end we can do better for our birds. That quote is as I heard it and something I use outside of birds in general .what are you doing to invite that creature consider it first. Just advice you so you.

I guess I never quite understood the point your old farmer was making... I have coyotes around here all the time, they come and go as they please... what would the farmer think I’m doing wrong?
When I had rats in my home I thought of that quote and I was able to look around and think my dog food is available what else? Why do they think I'm going to give them food?

...in general .what are you doing to invite that creature consider it first. Just advice you so you.

Ahh ok I get you now... yeah I don’t disagree with this as a general idea that can guide a lot of people away from creating their own problems....

but every situation is different... my coop for example has a great big mulberry tree next to it... next month when those berries are ripe the coons are coming for them... and i know they’re going to test my coop...

I’m pretty confident that it’ll keep them out... but I know coons will surprise us...

so your farmer might tell me to a) cut down the old mulberry tree or b) spend some money to run electric to the coop and set up a hot wire ... or something else...

I’d tell that farmer to hide and watch while I apply a skill that I was taught by another old farmer, then I’d set some traps ;)

Back
Top Bottom