Coyote trapping

I live in PA and its legal to shoot coyotes any day where I live. They are considered a nuisance here and get to the size of a small GSD. They are very difficult to trap, but I have heard of people having luck using fried chicken. I have never seen coyotes hunt in packs they keep more to themselves.
Really? Over here you sometimes here a pack of them making a ruckus, I would say maybe 10 of them together.

Really? Over here you sometimes here a pack of them making a ruckus, I would say maybe 10 of them together.

I have heard they can be in packs, but it's not anything myself or my neighbors have heard or caught on camera where I live. I have heard that if they are hungry enough and having difficulty bringing large game down they will group up for hunting, but still I've never seen it around me. Thank God!

I have heard they can be in packs, but it's not anything myself or my neighbors have heard or caught on camera where I live. I have heard that if they are hungry enough and having difficulty bringing large game down they will group up for hunting, but still I've never seen it around me. Thank God!

As far as we know ours was a pack of two
2F842DD3-C4B6-4560-AB94-A7BD60EAF5FE.jpeg

FA8B582A-10AC-4E95-9B5D-8E6930BAA6F2.jpeg

We’ve caught them on camera thought. Our neighbor got one a month or so ago, but we’ve heard them since so there’s got to be more.:he :(

I forgot to mention that whatever it was did this to a golf ball with its’ teeth/jaws, so may have come just looking for eggs. I’m now leaning more toward a fox attack with one duck injured trying to save her sister... I don’t know if coyotes would even bother with eggs if there were three slow ducks sitting around.

Attachments

• 29FC40E4-8386-4AED-8F87-A156E6CF2AF6.jpeg
    29FC40E4-8386-4AED-8F87-A156E6CF2AF6.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 4
What do you do if you catch a raccoon or possum in a trap like that? I don’t want to get too close to the animal without some metal bars separating it from me. I don’t think I could kill it.
You can teach them to swim.. and see how long they can hold their breath..

If they fail the holding your breath class.. they can be used to make a nice cap without any pesky bullet holes in it.

I’m not the best trapper, but coyotes have always just kind of come pretty easy for me... I’m rusty on foxes and never was that good at them ( I suspect in part because I stretched my sets out toward coyotes) .... bobcats are cake if there is a bobcat to be had and you understand a couple of things about how they cruise ... raccoons are mostly child’s play... but every now and again there’s a crafty one that takes a bit of effort...

... so with all of that in mind, I feel confident in saying that I can’t offer you any suggestions based on the information provided so far...

Your next step is protecting your remaining birds, then next after that is identifying what critter is causing the issue... maybe by setting out a trail camera if you have one....if it really is a coyote and trapping is new to you then there are likely more effective steps to take for you such as electric fence or something.

I’m not the best trapper, but coyotes have always just kind of come pretty easy for me... I’m rusty on foxes and never was that good at them ( I suspect in part because I stretched my sets out toward coyotes) .... bobcats are cake if there is a bobcat to be had and you understand a couple of things about how they cruise ... raccoons are mostly child’s play... but every now and again there’s a crafty one that takes a bit of effort...

... so with all of that in mind, I feel confident in saying that I can’t offer you any suggestions based on the information provided so far...

Your next step is protecting your remaining birds, then next after that is identifying what critter is causing the issue... maybe by setting out a trail camera if you have one....if it really is a coyote and trapping is new to you then there are likely more effective steps to take for you such as electric fence or something.
I can catch foxes all day long. Coyotes not so much. Since I’m always honest and it pains me to say this but I was after a few this year. I caught zero!:rant

Do NOT drown a trapped animal! It is a slow, painful death. It is cruel. Find another way to kill it, or don't trap it in the first place.

My advice is to coyote-proof your setup. If you have one coyote, you have more, or you will when more come through the area. If you want to keep birds in coyote country, you should probably just build something the coyotes can't get into.

Back
Top Bottom