Coyote

rebelcowboysnb

Confederate Money Farm
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Independent State of Dade NWGa
We have had foxes, wolves, racoons, opossums an hawks all my life so I am use to dealing with them. Lately I have been watching some young bald eagles which I have no issue with. But I have been trying to trap a raccoon(I though) that was taking a lot of chickens. Never would get in my traps an then it broke a hole in two of my cages built with 2x4 welded wire so it hit me I was dealing with something bigger. I got a small version of a bear trap an today I walk out to find my first coyote ever in my trap. He is about the size of a fox so I assume he is a puppy? So is it a safe assumption that they may be something like 6 more?

A Coyote(s) can be very dangerous so just be careful when dealing with one as they've been known to attack people. I would rather shoot it instead of letting it loose

That coyote is over half grown and might or might not have siblings around. In any case, you need to reinforce your chicken's area. I'd suggest lots of posts and double layers of fencing. Also, coyotes can dig under a fence. We don't have coyotes here, but have other digging predators. We attached chicken wire inside the fence to a height of three feet, then threaded the wire under the fence and a foot to the outside. We then staked it down and covered it with gravel. Anyone who thinks they can dig through gravel will hit wire. Good luck to you and your chickens.

It may depend on whether you're dealing with an eastern or western coyote--the latter tend to be smaller and also not stick with their parents after their first year. The eastern ones will "pack-up" with siblings sticking around to help tend pups and hunt. At any rate, if you haven't been bother by them then you are probably not going to be--they're very territorial and keep all of their species out. The fact that you've trapped and, assuming, dispatch one should be enough to keep them from getting too curious. They can become very bold unless they are taught that humans are not to be messed with.

Quote:
X-2 and it is Western we deal with here.... They can be a devastating problem if not nipped in the bud and we shoot them on sight if in our fenced property.

IMO. it doesn't matter one bit if its an eastern or western coyote. Either one is a problem if you have chickens, rabbits, small dogs , cats or young children.Shoot the one you caught and yes most likely you have more around.If you don't shoot and kill they will keep coming back and get more agressive as they gain confidence in their new hunting territory..

We have them in the park reserve behind our house and I've seen them in my backyard but we've never had a problem with them (knock on wood). I have a hot wire around the chicken area so maybe that's why, I'm not sure. I don't imagine my dogs deter them as they are in the house at night. Anyway, coyote packs will lure dogs away and kill them.

We are dealing with the same problem of coyotes & fox have seen both here. They are driving me crazy. What hurts is loosing 9 chickens in a month, what is sad is loosing them in the daylight , the buggers will sneak in & grab & run. The chickens are on lockdown for now until we can get a handle on the preds. Just bought some traps to try & catch them. Wish yo luck cowboy !!

Back
Top Bottom