Coyotes!!! Need advice, please.

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
barnie.gif
That about sums up how I feel about these predators and our county is way to full of them.

Apparently our county saw it fit to release coyotes into the wild to help control the ever increasing deer population. Most of the wildlife has been exterminated by these predators and they are now preying on people's pets and livestock. It won't be long and they will have someone's child.

My sister lives a mile up the road from me and a whole pack of coyotes attacked their livestock/guard dog Friday and killed him. You can constantly hear them yipping and they aren't afraid of anyone or anything. A hunter on their property recently discovered a den that had several dog collars in it from the coyotes attacking other peoples dogs. They have really gotten out of control here.

So... Here's my question. Is there a way to get rid of these pests? I realize shooting them is one way, but is there another? Summer is coming and my sister and I both do not even feel safe to let our kids out to play in their own backyards, which is truly unfair to them. That is one reason I moved out into the country. I personally think that the county should be responsible for taking care of these predators, but I don't think that will happen.

All constructive help here would be appreciated.
smile.png

We had issues with coyotes a few years ago. They actually killed a goat that stuck her head in the fence. I won't share the details but it was horrible. They were coming right up to my front door to get my goats!! Well we bought Mr. Donkey!!! Haven't had an issue with coyotes or stray dogs since!!! Do ya'll have the room for a donkey? Out here you can buy them for $25 at auctions. We bought ours when he was 6mths old and he has been great for the kids and the goats!!

Quote:
I don't have a problem with shooting them, you just have to see them to shoot them.
wink.png

We have 8 acres and my sister has 50 + so it is impossible to see them all of the time.

Quote:
A donkey would be a fantastic idea and I will be happy to pass that advice along to my sister and surrounding farmers.

They darn coyotes have become such a problem. I won't even tell you all how I feel about the county for releasing the dumb things.
hmm.png

I have the same coyote problem here. I've only seen them once but I hear them constantly. My neihbor ( but some distance away) has a donkey to protect his cattle. I can hear the donkey from my property, that may be why I'm not actually seeing the coyote's much but I am worried about them.

Last edited:
Mr. Donkey hasn't had to kill many coyotes. His presence will ward them off. I've heard a jack will kill what enters your property and a jenny will follow your herd to protect them. We bought a jack because it was all we could find. We had actually lost 17 goats in less than a month. When Mr. Donkey was delivered it stopped instantly. Not one more death. Good luck!

I don't know about the mini donks. I've got a smaller standard donkey. He is only about 12-13 hands tall. We got him when he was only 6 months old and he worked good then.

Back
Top Bottom