coyotes stalking my hens

rod5591

Songster
6 Years
Oct 15, 2017
Cookeville TN
I've an acre completely fenced in. Central Tennessee, Cumberland Plateau. Outside my yard I am surrounded by a farmers hayfield. Its nice and private but the hay allows predators to make concealed approaches to my yard. My birds live in a 1/4 section, my GSD Dog runs the other 3/4 acre and barks at everything--today her barking a long time at one spot of the fence brought me to see her flush out a limping old coyote who had layed up in the hay about 3 feet outside the fence. he limped off, but a few hours later I saw movement in the hay and saw him creeping in, about 50 yards off, eyeing my hens, and I took a shot him with my Henry 17 HMR -but overshot!:mad:. I've put my GSD out in the yard and she is barking her head off. and it is midnight. Hope the coyotes can not tag team her, so far I have just seen the one--an ugly old thing with a huge head and ears just like my GSDs. My hen house is not secure, if the coyote gets in he can get the birds--I've 17 hens and 1 roo. I go out every hour and do a perimeter check and have seen nothing. I do hear a lot of dogs barking and a lot of coyotes yipping in the distance. I want to go hunting in the morning and bag me some coyotes, but they are on a farmers land whom hasn't returned my phone message. I gotta get some sleep now, Rosie the GSD 4 years old, 80 lbs, strong as a bull, its up to her to warn me if there is a breech of our perimeter, I will sleep in my clothes and get up quickly if the is a problem. I now hate coyotes!

Last edited:
I went to college in Cookeville, nice area.

I'm all in favor of permanently removing predators that are hunting my area. I usually trap but occasionally shoot them. So get to the gun range and get that rifle sighted in. You're not going to hit everything you shoot at, even Annie Oakley occasionally missed, but make sure that rifle is in as good a shape as you can get it and that you are comfortable handling it.

An 80 pound dog should easily be able to handle a coyote but could be in trouble if they gang up on it. But a dog cannot be everywhere and see or smell everything. At least you don't lock yours in the house at night like some people that think they have a dog guarding their chickens do. A good dog helps a lot but is not a guarantee.

No matter how many coyotes, raccoons, or other predators you kill there will always be more. The only way to really secure your chickens is barriers. That generally means fencing they cannot get through, under or over. Electricity can be a big help. Your time will be better spent securing your barriers instead of just relying on hunting, which may or may not be successful.

Electric fencing! And secure the coop, at least two locks on every door. One to latch the door and a caribeener or something to reinforce it. Hopefully you will be able to catch the/this coyote!

I feel your fear and frustration. We routinely have coyotes. About a week ago I had a standoff with one in the driveway. It was me, a neighbor, and our 2 large dogs (ok, well my smaller dog is about coyote size, 50lbs). The coyote wouldn't leave. Then just yesterday it came back (it's probably been back in between). My husband yelled to me because he witnessed it attacking my neighbor's 100lb dog that happened to be outside. Again, it wouldn't leave. It circled around the other side of the house. I cannot take a shot with anything other than a pellet gun due to laws and proximity of neighbors. It's an exceedingly frustrating situation. I swear they get bolder and bolder, especially this time of year when their regular food sources are getting more scarce. Good luck with your flock protection. I hope all remain safe, including your pup.

I feel your fear and frustration. We routinely have coyotes. About a week ago I had a standoff with one in the driveway. It was me, a neighbor, and our 2 large dogs (ok, well my smaller dog is about coyote size, 50lbs). The coyote wouldn't leave. Then just yesterday it came back (it's probably been back in between). My husband yelled to me because he witnessed it attacking my neighbor's 100lb dog that happened to be outside. Again, it wouldn't leave. It circled around the other side of the house. I cannot take a shot with anything other than a pellet gun due to laws and proximity of neighbors. It's an exceedingly frustrating situation. I swear they get bolder and bolder, especially this time of year when their regular food sources are getting more scarce. Good luck with your flock protection. I hope all remain safe, including your pup.
Can you shoot it with a crossbow? They are usually legal even where firearms are banned.

I'm honestly not sure, but worth looking into. Thanks! There's definitely less risk if I miss the shot with a crossbow given the location of the nearby houses and roads.
You can also try bear spray (mace). My friend carries it with her when she goes hiking. She has never had to use it, but if it can blind a bear, it could probably make the coyote think twice about coming back.

Back
Top Bottom