Coyotes

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
Heard coyotes last night. How can I prevent them from coming near the coop? I do have a Rooster so he will crow if anything is wrong but I want to be prepared since spring is coming.

I've had them come right up to my coop. I have motion triggered lights and a flashing red LED set to go off when there's movement at the coop, and so far it has kept them from getting any chickens. *fingers crossed.* But I have seen them only a few feet from my house too, and this week a neighbor caught a coyote taking his bantam. He saw it on the camera system, but wasn't able to get to the bantam in time.

Hot wire is the only thing I know that will keep coyotes away.
I hate to tell you, but when you contact game and fish, they are classifed as varmints. There is no season to hunt anymore. I know that here in AR. If they want a free chicken dinner, they will go over, under no matter what to get at them. I string Christmas LED lights around my 4 coops 365days a year. I also went to Lowe's and bought a few Led battery operated motion lights. I have never in all my years lost one to a coyote. Mine have been owls, hawks and raccoons. My neighbor lost his entire flock of 50 in one night to a raccoon family.They love to kill birds. Mainly take their heads off. My friends game cam was a horrible thing to watch. We have had to cull out coyotes before. They will go after dogs cats etc. I also have the electric wire fence from Premier1. portable, and works great!
Hot wire is the only thing I know that will keep coyotes away.

Back
Top Bottom