Coyotes

That’s strange. We never have coyote problems here during the day.. maybe it’s just a matter of location?
Likely. I live in the middle of "coyote heaven".! All the natural prey they could ever ask for and not a ton of activity. The one howling in the picture was a half grown pup. Standing right in front of the house. (While I was outside)

That's actually just NOT true. Coyotes are generally VERY active during the day. They can tend to be less active during the day in urban areas. But everywhere else, all day it is! (These were al taken in the afternoon.)
We have daytime coyotes too, and my area is suburban. People don't shoot coyotes around here, so the coyotes are totally comfortable around people.

that baby coyote kind of cute...

Electric fence will keep EVERYTHING out. Fisher Cats, Weasels, Bobcats, Coyotes, and more. We have visitors that just pass through almost every night. They are not stupid. They learn to "respect" the fence. This Bobcat only had to learn once! Paw prints are in the mud almost every morning. They stay about 3 feet from the fence on their way somewhere else.

Don't get a cheap charger, and unplug it before the chickens come out or they will learn and not want to go back in.
How is your run constructed? I see welded wire on top and a partial fence (not all the way up)? Also, what kind of camera do you have that you can move?

I realize this is an older thread. We have coyotes here too. I think they are most everywhere. I do have electric wires around my coops and pens and have seen a lot of coyotes. They don't mess with the hot wires. I have had a coyote attempt to dig under a fence but aborted the attempt once it got zapped. Here they roam mostly at night. I have seen them during the day but it's rare here. I think the adults teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for. I have several game cameras up around on my property. I love my cameras. I have posted this video before. Good luck...

A coyote attempted to dig under a fence but aborted the attempt once it was zapped. Once in awhile I hear critters test the wires. Most predators first explore with their noses.
1546386300241.jpg
20210115_095548.jpg

How is your run constructed? I see welded wire on top and a partial fence (not all the way up)? Also, what kind of camera do you have that you can move?
@lizo97 the run is made from 3/4" electric conduit. EMT from Lowes. I got a kit for the joints on Ebay. The entire run is covered, all sides with 1" aviary netting from Amazon. That keeps out the hawks and other flying nuisances. The welded wire at the bottom is only about 2 feet high. It is only there to slow down any other predator long enough to get hit on the electric. I have a strand of electric 2" above every top rail on the run. That took care of the hawks perching on the run. That only works if your frame is metal, and grounded. The run has prevented Bobcats and Coyotes so far.

The cameras are Wyze Cams and have worked great, and they are pretty inexpensive.

Back
Top Bottom