Coyotes

Kandypeeps05

Songster
Jan 30, 2022
What are some of the best ways to deter coyotes from my property without illegally killing them? I’m closer to the city so I can’t harm the little turds but I wouldn’t want to anywa.

I don't know where you live; it is legal to shoot coyotes here. But, I'm glad you wouldn't want to. I admire the adaptability and intelligence of coyotes, and BEFORE I had livestock and poultry, I used to love to listen to their calls. Now, not so much.

When I had a Great Pyrenees, I used to walk her around all the fence lines to get her scent everywhere. Now, I yell and make all kinds of loud noises, hoping to deter them, as few coyotes really want to interact with people.

So, like with every other predator, I just make sure I have good fencing and secure coops. Best wishes for keeping them away.

Coyotes are very resilient and adaptive animals. Admirative and annoying.

We've never really had problems with coyotes, though we hear them yipping away through the night. An eerie sound. I give the credit to the dogs. The dogs scent and barking at anything that comes near keeps them away.

Not sure how big your yard is or if it is fenced but having a tall fence that they can't dig under or hop over may help. An electrical fence also works, but may not be necessary in your case.

Different scents that they dislike around your property. Wolf urine, vinegar, and spicy pepper will keep them and other predators away.

I don't know where you live; it is legal to shoot coyotes here. But, I'm glad you wouldn't want to. I admire the adaptability and intelligence of coyotes, and BEFORE I had livestock and poultry, I used to love to listen to their calls. Now, not so much.

When I had a Great Pyrenees, I used to walk her around all the fence lines to get her scent everywhere. Now, I yell and make all kinds of loud noises, hoping to deter them, as few coyotes really want to interact with people.

So, like with every other predator, I just make sure I have good fencing and secure coops. Best wishes for keeping them away.
The only difficulty about that is definitely the fact that I can’t coddle the farm dogs instead of leaving them to the job

Back
Top Bottom