crack corn

I give my chickens Scratch (grain/corn mix) and seeds. I give them a few handfuls spread out and I have 11 chickens. They also free range and get food that way, plus left overs.

Corn is usually viewed as more of a treat than a substantial part of a chicken's diet and as such should be fed sparingly. The exception might be during the winter when it helps them put on weight and create energy to stay warm if you're in a cold climate.

Thank you for that info. I bought some for the fall and winter to use along with there feed.
I also free-range them.

I give my chickens Scratch (grain/corn mix) and seeds. I give them a few handfuls spread out and I have 11 chickens. They also free range and get food that way, plus left overs.
Do you also give them layer (or something else, depending on gender or age).

Do you also give them layer (or something else, depending on gender or age).
No I don't, have been doing it for years and years and I get an egg everyday (or every other for 2 of my hens). They get left overs and free range and are by no means missing out on anything. If I have chicks they obviously get chick starter only.

Corn is usually viewed as more of a treat than a substantial part of a chicken's diet and as such should be fed sparingly. The exception might be during the winter when it helps them put on weight and create energy to stay warm if you're in a cold climate.

Please stop perpetuating the Old Wive's Tale that corn magically makes animals warm in winter, it is not true.

Back
Top Bottom