Crack the genetics challenge!! Silkie/cochin family tree mystery for 9wk chicks

Energystreet

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
Virginia
Ok, I'm a chicken genetics novice. But I need your experienced eyes and minds to help solve this riddle.
  1. A black silkie rooster
    Silkie rooster
    mates with a white cochin hen
    CochinMom.jpg
    . They have a chick that is a 50/50 silkie/cochin mix.
    Cochin/silkie chic named Coco
  2. The black silkie mates with both mother and daughter hens.
  3. Two similar sized eggs from either of the hens (mom or daughter or both) are incubated.
  4. Two chicks hatch:
    1. Chick named R2Peep2 has dark grey feathers, develops pink single comb early, and is bigger than other chick. 4 toes, feathered legs and feet.
      2020-06-025.jpg.jpg
      2020-06-23 11.49.41.jpg
      2020-06-23 11.50.13.jpg
    2. Chick named Peppermint is lighter grey, with small grey comb. Heavily feathered legs and feet. 4 toes. Slightly lighter grey skin. Extremely friendly. Smaller than R2Peep2.
      2020-06-028.jpg.jpg
      2020-06-027.jpg
      2020-06-026.jpg
  5. Questions:
    1. Which mother do you think each chick is from?
    2. Am I right in guessing that R2 is a rooster and Peppermint is a hen?
For comparison here are both of them together in one picture (at 8 weeks on the chair) and as chicks (the 2 front chicks):
2020-06-11 19.42.31.jpg
2020-04-23 20.29.47.jpg

Thanks for any insight you have!

Last edited:
I think R2Peep2 is the 3/4 Silkie, while Peppermint is 50/50 due to the lack of crest and profuse leg feathering of a Cochin. R2 is a cockerel and Peppermint is more pullety, but still a bit young to be sure. I'm seeing a lot of wattle, it's just not as obvious due to the mulberry skin

I definitely am beginning to see some more red in Peppermint's wattle this week, but not the comb.

Most alarming, Peppermint is trying to crow in the mornings! It's kind of a loud foghorn squawk kind of sound. I've heard it a few different times, but was able to confirm it was coming from him/her today. Could she still be a pullet??

I definitely am beginning to see some more red in Peppermint's wattle this week, but not the comb.

Most alarming, Peppermint is trying to crow in the mornings! It's kind of a loud foghorn squawk kind of sound. I've heard it a few different times, but was able to confirm it was coming from him/her today. Could she still be a pullet??
If it's crowing, it's a cockerel, sorry. Sometimes mature hens will crow without the presence of a rooster, but that's not the case here

Back
Top Bottom