Cracked an egg

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
Tuesday is Lockdown for my eggs, this morning I get up to turn them and one slips out of my hands and yes you guessed it, it cracked. A little bit of blood came out, so I put pressure on it, it stops right away then I put tape on it because I wasn't sure what the heck to do but just thought close the egg back up. I know it probably won't make it and if it does it will be amazing. Does anyone have any suggestions? If someone has a better idea then tape let me know, the tape I put on it is invisible tape so I don't plan on it to stick for very long. Perhaps a bandaid? hummm Please send me your thoughts.

When I receive eggs that are cracked I take my time to secure them with wax or glue. But once they are in the incubator I have the scotch tape ready. There is always a high potential for moisture loss, but if its pretty closed up then it will make it.

If it was only a small amount of blood loss and it stopped right away as it did, the odds are decent it will be fine. I think you did the right thing. You might want to keep some styptic powder on hand in the future for just such accidents -- they sell it at drug stores in the first aid or shaving aisle.

I have had a cracked egg hatch. When I put in in the incubator I didn't notice the crack as it was a hairline (a very fine crack). I only noticed it when I candled and by that time the chick was developing. I didn't do anything as the crack was so fine. I did keep track of the egg until it hatched. The crack wasn't really visible except when I candled.

Well it's been several hours later and I did candle the little guy and amazing enough it's still alive. No more blood yet but it's quite a big crack. One part is indented and then there's this hair line crack from the middle of the egg down to the smaller part of the egg. Yeh I know it just couldn't be the bigger part of the egg it had to be the smaller more important part. But I could see the baby chick still moving around so I'm just going to hope for the best.. Friday we should know something for absolutely for sure. I'm wondering though if I should just stop turning them. The 18th day won't be until tuesday but because of the crack I'm wondering if I should hold off on this one and just turn the others like normal. Any suggestions???

Melt some candle wax and spread it over the crack. It will help seal the egg and prevent too much moisture from escaping. It also keep bacteria out.
smile.png

I just read this thread because I cracked on of my little silkie's eggs she was sitting on. I put the candlewax on there and put it back with her. Hoping for the best, she's worked hard.

It works, the candle wax does work, that particular egg did manage to hatch out just fine, I have taken this advice and used it for all and any future cracked eggs.

Back
Top Bottom