cracked corn?

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
What nutrients does corn lose when it is cracked?

Jim, I know you love to argue this one to death and I'm just not going to get into that with you. You have your beliefs and I have mine and I suspect that nothing is likely to change your mind. It has long been known that oxidation (of most foods) results in loss of trace nutrients. In the case of corn, once the grain is cracked, and the surfaces exposed to oxidation, they gradually lose trace nutrients, and some other nutrients convert into less usable forms. Freshly cracked corn is great to feed, but few people have the ability to crack their own corn, me included. Therefore, I choose to feed whole corn instead of cracked. However it is up to each person to make their own choice.​

Quote:
What nutrients does corn lose when it is cracked?

Jim, I know you love to argue this one to death and I'm just not going to get into that with you. You have your beliefs and I have mine and I suspect that nothing is likely to change your mind. It has long been known that oxidation (of most foods) results in loss of trace nutrients. In the case of corn, once the grain is cracked, and the surfaces exposed to oxidation, they gradually lose trace nutrients, and some other nutrients convert into less usable forms. Freshly cracked corn is great to feed, but few people have the ability to crack their own corn, me included. Therefore, I choose to feed whole corn instead of cracked. However it is up to each person to make their own choice.

You are correct that oxidation occurs, but this affects micro nutrients that typically are not accounted for in corn when we formulate rations. The main ingredients we use corn for are not affected by oxidation so they are not lost as you imply, the carbohydrate, ether extract, and protein components of the corn are quite stable when cracked. Even with this, I don't recommend storing cracked corn for long periods.

Jim

Oh for the love of God!!!!

Corn does NOT raise the body temp of a chicken or any other animal beyond that of normal heat of metabolism.

Jim

Considering the fact that the treats chart in the learning center on this site says what the OP thought (and that may be where she/he read it) it's really not necessary to post that kind of response. I'm sure most people who see that chart think it's the official word, since it is in the learning center, and don't go on to search threads to see if any of the treats on it have other recommendations.​

Quote:
Considering the fact that the treats chart in the learning center on this site says what the OP thought (and that may be where she/he read it) it's really not necessary to post that kind of response. I'm sure most people who see that chart think it's the official word, since it is in the learning center, and don't go on to search threads to see if any of the treats on it have other recommendations.

I did not realize that the treat chart is WRONG.

We repeatedly cover this topic so those of us that refute to claim grow tired of contunally attempting to post the facts.

Quote:
Considering the fact that the treats chart in the learning center on this site says what the OP thought (and that may be where she/he read it) it's really not necessary to post that kind of response. I'm sure most people who see that chart think it's the official word, since it is in the learning center, and don't go on to search threads to see if any of the treats on it have other recommendations.

We repeatedly cover this topic so those of us that refute to claim grow tired of contunally attempting to post the facts.​

Here's a link to it if you wanted to take a look (not that I think you don't believe me. lol). Under scratch grains it says it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart
The chart itself is on someone's BYC page but it's linked from the learning center.
smile.png

Quote:

We repeatedly cover this topic so those of us that refute to claim grow tired of contunally attempting to post the facts.

Here's a link to it if you wanted to take a look (not that I think you don't believe me. lol). Under scratch grains it says it.
The chart itself is on someone's BYC page but it's linked from the learning center.
smile.png

Thank you.

I just PM'd the creator of the chart asking them to fix the comments in the Scratch section.

Jim

Quote:

smile.png

That chart is a joke!
There is so much Incorrect information on that "Chat" that it is almost funny, the best thing BYC could do is take down that "Treat Chart"until things are corrected or better yet start all over.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom