cracked egg, help please!

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a broody hen that is sitting on a clutch of eggs. I found one of them cracked today, but there may be hope. The shell is cracked and has fallen off in a small area but THE MEMBRANE IS INTACT. It is on day 17 so does this chick have any hope? Will it survive?

She MAY have done, it does happen occasionally. Just check on her when you can. Make sure she has food she can reach from the nest, and water. She should eat from there instead of going for the eggs. It may just be that she has caught it with a claw on the nest, or scraped it with her beak tucking it in. The shells are very brittle at this stage, to make it easy for the chick, and so are very easily damaged. When ever you get a chance to get near it, dab some warm water on the spot with missing shell and be sure your broody has a flat pan of water to dip her belly into, this will help all the eggs, and she will do it if you put it near her.

UPDATE: I just checked the eggs and the membrane broke, but the "insides" haven't spilled out. Does it still have a chance?If so has that chance decreased?

Back
Top Bottom