Cracked Egg Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reyvaughn, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I got two cracked eggs shipped to me and I immediately cleaned and taped them. The cracks weren't visible on the 2nd one until after I cleaned it with a dampened cloth and I candled it. Neither were through to the membrane. I set them anyways, just to see. Tonight when I turned them, I noticed the one looked like there was white seepage from the crack, under the tape. It actually looked kind of a little bit of cooked egg white. It doesn't smell, but... What is it? Is it safe to keep in the 'bator until day 3 candling? Or should I be concerned and toss it now?

Thanks!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would put liquid band aide on the cracks. I had a cracked egg that hatched. I didn't notice the crack until I candled the egg at day 10 and it was developing. I put liquid band aide on the crack and put it back in the incubator and it hatched just fine.

3. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Unscented candle wax work awesome for the cracks, I have used it with great success. All you do is heat it up until the candle wax is liquid then take a toothpick and smear it on the crack.

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Well.

Lets just say I am not thrilled right now. I decided to take the tape off of all 3 cracked eggs and apply the liquid band-aid. I should have left the tape alone! Of the 3, only ONE made it through the ordeal. One was fertile, too, with veins starting. I am so upset with myself. I just had a gut feeling to leave them alone! The one with the white stuff showing that I actually asked about - it was condensation, so that one did need another fix. I am sure that one was also not fertile. But the other one... I killed a forming chick! At least the kids learned something through it (what a fertile egg looks like at this stage).

One that made it through the un-taping I am pretty sure is also fertile. That one has a new layer of liquid band-aid on it.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have used wax too. I used to use wax when canning so I used the same wax to seal a crack too, but now I have been using the liquid band aide.

I don't think you killed the chick. It probably just wasn't meant to be. I have hatched a lot of chicks and every one that died I felt like I killed them too but finally realized that some just don't make it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by