1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cracked egg use or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ironjerry, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    I was unpacking eggs bought on Ebay for incubator yesterday and cracked the shell on one slightly. Don't think membrane damaged but not positive. I put tape over crack and wonder should I put it in incubator or not? My gut feeling is to not take a chance. Going to set them today so convince me to stay with my initial reaction. Has anyone repaired eggs and it worked?

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Use some candle wax and seal the crack so that no moisture will escape from there. I am on day 14 with a cracked egg that was pretty badly cracked during shipping and it is still growing and doing fine.

3. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Normally I throw away a cracked egg.. HOWEVER since these were shipped eggs.. if it's not leaking try to patch it and then keep your fingers crossed.. several people have had cracked eggs develop and hatch..
    When I got my shipped eggs I had a couple with hairline cracks.. I patched them and put them in the incubator.. when I candled neither one had any signs of development (I had a lot of infertile eggs in this bunch)

So they can survive and hatch.. but you will never know if that one would if you throw it away now

4. ironjerry

ironjerry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    medina, ohio
    Thanks for the info. Might try to hatch just for the learning curve.

5. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    I had one arrrive cracked and I sealed it up. It pipped last night but down towards the pointed end and I believe it drowned. It is possible though to seal them and get them to hatch day.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by