cracked egg

Newtochicks21

Chirping
May 5, 2021
Our Easter Egger's last 3 eggs have had a very similar crack in them but this morning's crack is the largest one yet. None of the cracks break through the membrane under the shell and the egg is not sitting on any bedding when we find it in the box. We are trying to figure out if it's a peck mark or from the fact that she has also been emptying all the nesting boxes almost immediately after we add more bedding. We tried cleaning out all the bedding and placing new bedding but she won't stop emptying them out. Our next plan is to get nesting pads. Not sure what has caused this behavior but we would like to stop it because it is frustrating for us and the other hens who have little to no bedding when they lay as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

***I added a picture of this morning's egg. We used the other 2 eggs because the crack was not as deep...not sure if we should use this one or trash it. I hate wasting it.***
egg.jpg

Our Easter Egger's last 3 eggs have had a very similar crack in them but this morning's crack is the largest one yet. None of the cracks break through the membrane under the shell and the egg is not sitting on any bedding when we find it in the box. We are trying to figure out if it's a peck mark or from the fact that she has also been emptying all the nesting boxes almost immediately after we add more bedding. We tried cleaning out all the bedding and placing new bedding but she won't stop emptying them out. Our next plan is to get nesting pads. Not sure what has caused this behavior but we would like to stop it because it is frustrating for us and the other hens who have little to no bedding when they lay as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

***I added a picture of this morning's egg. We used the other 2 eggs because the crack was not as deep...not sure if we should use this one or trash it. I hate wasting it.***View attachment 2867821
It's either a peck mark, or a claw that poked through the shell. I've had this thing happen with rough hens in the nest.

It's either a peck mark, or a claw that poked through the shell. I've had this thing happen with rough hens in the nest.
Thanks for replying. All 3 times it’s on the ends of the egg like in the picture. How have you handled this when it happens. She is definitely rough in the boxes. She will literally empty them all out, even the ones she’s never laid in. Does the behavior eventually pass? I am wondering if it’s a phase.

Thanks for replying. All 3 times it’s on the ends of the egg like in the picture. How have you handled this when it happens. She is definitely rough in the boxes. She will literally empty them all out, even the ones she’s never laid in. Does the behavior eventually pass? I am wondering if it’s a phase.
Yes, the behavior will pass, & you'll get less of these before you get no more poked eggs.

You might have someone pecking those eggs, so do watch for this. And I'd NEVER eat an egg I found already cracked in the coop. NEVER. One egg is cheap, and food poisoning is no fun!
Mary
I have been keeping a close eye and I am sure it’s been the same hen’s egg every time so far. I have also tried not to leave other eggs in the boxes too long. If I am home and hear them laying I will go right out and grab them. So far all other eggs have been fine.

The one in the picture will go in the trash - too cracked for me. The other 2 I used didn’t look open like this one does. I do appreciate your advice on not eating them. Thank you for confirming that. 😊

Does the shell feel thinner at the end there, since it's always cracking in the same spot?

My guess is:
the fact that she has also been emptying all the nesting boxes almost immediately after we add more bedding. We tried cleaning out all the bedding and placing new bedding but she won't stop emptying them out. Our next plan is to get nesting pads.
the egg is cracking upon being laid (and the shell may be thinner in that spot) because she's pushing so much bedding out of the way that there isn't enough padding. You don't need to buy nest pads BTW... what I use is empty feed bags, folded to fit the nest bottom, and that lodges in nicely so that the hens can't push them out. Put bedding over that. If that still isn't enough padding, you can put a couple sheets of bubble wrap inside the feed bag (to prevent chickens from messing with it) and then fold it to fit and add bedding.

coop3.jpg

She is definitely rough in the boxes. She will literally empty them all out, even the ones she’s never laid in. Does the behavior eventually pass?
Newly laying pullets will definitely 'trash' the nests at first.
How long has she seen laying?

Pics of your nests and bedding would help here.

Back
Top Bottom