Cracked eggs, dislocated air sacs and broken air pockets.

beccers099

Chirping
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi. I've hatched pheasants before and ran into a problem with some of those eggs having really weird air bubbles. The chicks in them either died or were still born. Now I'm hatching frizzle Cochin chickens. I finally discovered that the weird bubbles were broken or dislodged air bubbles. The embryos developed, but the air sacs were big and kinda made a large 'L' in the shell. Kinda spread across the fat part and up the sides. I think the babies get stuck and cant move or get glued in. I have them in the incubator at 75% humidity. Should I help them at around hatching day? I was thinking a crochet hook poked through the egg to pull back the side of the membrane so they can move and really spike the humidity so they don't dry out and get glued. Day 21 is Monday. I don't really expect them to live though. It's about time to lock down them for hatching. I DO see good blood vessels though. Can't see movement.
So anyway, since I didn't expect them to make it I ordered one more clutch from another person much closer to me. When they arrived I checked them and I have two with cracks. big ones. Like they smacked each other. They are the round kind that look like a spiderweb and are about the width of a AA battery is round. The membranes are intact in both. I've heard of wax, super glue, or nail polish to seal them. I'm afraid of the chemicals in the glue or polish, and incubating seams to make the wax a bad idea because won't it just melt? I have them settling right now. Please let me know as soon as possible. I really need to know the safest way to deal with both these problems. I'll read through and see what everybody has to say. There are so many views here I'm not sure.

yea they areshipped from what i have read and been told they can eaither not hatch or they will hatch but just die...i cant even tell if they are alive anymore it looks like they have filled up the space thats avaliable to them but i guess i will find out in the next few days as of right now i am half way through day 21 and i wont do eggtopis until at least day 24 or 25

Candle wax won't melt in the incubator unless it's hot enough in it to kill the chicks anyway. I've repaired eggs with candle wax prior to incubation and had them hatch. Also had success with liquid bandage, Like clear nail polish, but not so much solvent. Good Luck
smile.png

ok. With the old eggs I waited and they were sad. That's why I want to see about trying to put a little hole where I know there is air and peel back the mambrane to see if giving them space will help on day 21. If their gonna die, might as well see if they have a chance. Any thoughts from anybody on that part of the issue? good luck hdowden.

Back
Top Bottom