Cracked eggs in incubator?

I just hatched eggs for the very first time... also keeping chickens for the first time, and I got the eggs off eBay. My tiniest Serama egg had a pin-hole peck spot, only about a millimeter across, on it that I didn't see when I put it in to incubate or I probably would have discarded the egg. When I saw it, I put scotch tape over it to hold in humidity, since there was development in the egg. First to hatch, smallest chick, but the most precocious! First one to attack the food and the realize that water is for drinking, so all the others follow it around. Cute little speckled thing, and I'd have missed out on a great chick if I'd discarded that egg.

YES, I hand turn my eggs and one time I had accidently dropped it. It cracked the smaller end of the egg, very large crack too.. I was devisated. So I got some tape and taped it up. It had also bled, well then I read some forums about what to do with a cracked egg. First thought for me was get that thing sealed back up, someone suggested Candle wax, so I took the tape off and put candle wax on the egg and sure enough that little bugger hatched. I candled him 2 hours after the crack to see if he was still moving and sure enough he was. So yes, even though it's cracked you can seal that bad boy up and still get a hatching...
What kind of wax did u use

I know this is an old thread but great reading good stories. I just received 16 shipped eggs and 5 have small cracks on the large end. So going to candle wax them and see how it goes. If 1 pulls through, its worth the effort! Wish me luck :) Will report back as I go through incubation.

Back
Top Bottom