Cracked eggs in incubator?

Pics

silkiesnOTTBs

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
I placed my eggs in the incubator on the 12th and went to candlelight my 14 eggs. I picked up an egg that looked to have no cracks. When I candlelighted it, it had cracks in it. I took it out, finished cracking it open and we had a fertile egg with a fetus. So question: can you keep eggs like that in the incubator and still hatch them? What's everyones opinion on this?

Thanks!
Tricia

YES, I hand turn my eggs and one time I had accidently dropped it. It cracked the smaller end of the egg, very large crack too.. I was devisated. So I got some tape and taped it up. It had also bled, well then I read some forums about what to do with a cracked egg. First thought for me was get that thing sealed back up, someone suggested Candle wax, so I took the tape off and put candle wax on the egg and sure enough that little bugger hatched. I candled him 2 hours after the crack to see if he was still moving and sure enough he was. So yes, even though it's cracked you can seal that bad boy up and still get a hatching...

If the crack didn't splatter the egg to bits, and the membrane is still intact, you can melt a
birthday candle and let the wax drip over the crack. Alot of people have successfully used
duct or scotch tape to seal a cracked egg. The main concerns are bacteria entering the egg,
and loosing to much humidity, therefore, you have to seal the crack somehow.

Good luck!
smile.png

Last edited:
This is my cracked egg. Its due on sunday, i candled it last night and its internally pipped. I was going to wax it but was worried it might seep through the cracks so i just taped it.

This is my cracked egg. Its due on sunday, i candled it last night and its internally pipped. I was going to wax it but was worried it might seep through the cracks so i just taped it.
OUCH!! I to had a cracked Chuckar a few weeks back it had not leaked .So I put a few drops of candle wax on it .It hatched and is running around my brooder with the rest..cva34

That crack looks as bad as the one I had dropped only mine was on the smaller end, and like I said it started bleeding and everything. I used candle wax and sure enough it hatched. As long as you seal it up in time it will hatch still. At least yours didn't bleed like mine..

This year I purchased the automatic egg turner for my older foam little giant, still air incubator. On the older models the wafer mechanism hangs down making a very tight rotation for the eggs when they pass by it. Last Friday I noticed one of the eggs was smashed across most of the top from hitting the wafer bracket. The chick was moving under the membrane so I carefully put criss crossed small masking tape pieces over the cracks, making sure it was sealed. Tonight as the eggs are hatching I carefully pulled back the pieces of tape on the cracked egg and to my surprise that chick is trying to hatch. I suppose few people would have done that but I had to try something. I guess if you leave your egg in the incubator you will notice it leaking or a color change if it is a white egg.. I would just keep a close eye on it. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom