Broody accidentally cracked an egg

mydaisy

Songster
May 9, 2022
Oklahoma is OK!
I have a hen who cracked an egg, I believe it fell from under her wing and hit the wood of the nesting box. It’s 4 days old and does have growth. Do I have to throw this out? I searched other posts and someone on an old thread said that her chick hatched fine without repairing it or doing anything. Please help.
Also, I took it from her and put in my incubator which I placed 6 eggs at the same time that she started her eggs.

Attachments

• E6AED043-F013-40B8-8245-D557AEC1ADA1.jpeg
    E6AED043-F013-40B8-8245-D557AEC1ADA1.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 26
If it's in the incubator now, I'd let it be and see how it does. If still with the hen, I'd recommend trying to fix the shell with superglue coat at the break, as it would be at much greater risk of breaking with the jostling from the hen.

Good luck.

LofMc

If it's in the incubator now, I'd let it be and see how it does. If still with the hen, I'd recommend trying to fix the shell with superglue coat at the break, as it would be at much greater risk of breaking with the jostling from the hen.

Good luck.

LofMc
Ok thank you! This is my first time with hatching eggs with a broody and also incubating.

I have a hen who cracked an egg, I believe it fell from under her wing and hit the wood of the nesting box. It’s 4 days old and does have growth. Do I have to throw this out? I searched other posts and someone on an old thread said that her chick hatched fine without repairing it or doing anything. Please help.
Also, I took it from her and put in my incubator which I placed 6 eggs at the same time that she started her eggs.
Hi! That is not a bad break at all. Being that it's only on day 4 though I would recommend patching it to prevent bacteria from entering the egg through the crack. You can patch it with a variety of things, but I've found that nail polish works the best. Any kind will do, but I've had excellent luck with various natural nail polish brands. Just a couple thin layers over the whole crack area is all you need to do. It won't interfere with hatching or anything either. I've saved I'm sure at least two dozen eggs this way. I hatch small eggs under larger hens frequently so eggs get cracked often unfortunately.

Hi! That is not a bad break at all. Being that it's only on day 4 though I would recommend patching it to prevent bacteria from entering the egg through the crack. You can patch it with a variety of things, but I've found that nail polish works the best. Any kind will do, but I've had excellent luck with various natural nail polish brands. Just a couple thin layers over the whole crack area is all you need to do. It won't interfere with hatching or anything either. I've saved I'm sure at least two dozen eggs this way. I hatch small eggs under larger hens frequently so eggs get cracked often unfortunately.
That sounds perfect! I’ll do that. I would have been worried that the chemicals or smell of polish would seep in, but I trust your expertise.

That sounds perfect! I’ll do that. I would have been worried that the chemicals or smell of polish would seep in, but I trust your expertise.
No problem! If you have any more natural ones those are definitely best, I've used the piggy paint brand and I like theirs a lot.
If you don't use a natural one though, just let it sit for 10-15 minutes outside of the incubator to air off before putting it back in.

No problem! If you have any more natural ones those are definitely best, I've used the piggy paint brand and I like theirs a lot.
If you don't use a natural one though, just let it sit for 10-15 minutes outside of the incubator to air off before putting it back in.
Oh, ok good to know. I thought by natural you meant clear, but I get ya. I don’t have natural but I do have clear and will let it dry for a few.

Back
Top Bottom