Cracked Hatching Eggs

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
I know this may seem silly, but it was something I was wondering about. I haven't tried it yet, but still wonder the actual answer.
roll.png

If you collecting hatching eggs and there is a cracked one, is there any chance at all to hatch it? I'm talking about those hairline cracks, where the shell isn't missing or really indented, but cracked none the less. I've always thrown the cracked eggs out, but I recently looked at articles on how they dye the Easter chicks and they have to puncture the shell.

Anyone? I know it is a silly question and I know that the risks of hatching an egg that is cracked would be severely disadvantaged, but is it possible?
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Thanks,
Kim

Nail polish works too.

It's a technique usually only used on rare or valuable eggs, as the chance of bacterial infection is high.

I thought there would be a chance, after all, they "reseal" the Easter chick eggs with parafin wax. I will have to give it a try, I just wondered if anyone has tried it yet and what their success rate was.

I will have to try it with crayon wax. Does it matter whether the crayon(or nail polish) is colored or not?

Hey, AussieSharon, I appreciate you keepin me posted.

Thanks y'all,
-Kim

If it is a very important egg it could be worth a try. I have sealed a minor crack using clear fingernail polish as well. It is actually pretty risky though. Any crack can allow bacteria into the egg which can cause it to explode ruining an entire hatch.

Richard

I had one get cracked on week two when another hen got in the broodies nest. I sealed it with a melted crayon and a week later it hatched. It's worth a try you just have to watch it to see how it's developing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom