Cracked open a runny egg from sick hen

Terrie Mac

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
My one year old RIR has been sick off and on for a month. She becomes listless, tail drooping, and sleepy. When I see the signs I bring her inside to a quiet dark place and after a couple of days she seems to be ready to go back to the coop, is okay for few days and then it starts over again. I thought she was suffering from sour crop so that's how I've been treating her: yogurt, ACV in water, no solids. Today her crop seems okay but once again she is showing the usual signs of being sick.

Her last egg was laid in the middle of the coop (with running poop) not in the nest, that was about a month ago when she first got sick. Well I just got around to cracking it open to give to the dogs and the yolk has no form like it came out already scrambled and just a small amount of white solids. Does this sometimes happen or is it another piece of the puzzle in diagnosing what is wrong with her?

It's an old egg that is on its way to being rotten. Crack open a newer egg and then we will see what we can see.

It is a month old, but was kept in the fridge and didn't smell when it was opened. I thought eggs lasted at least a month when kept cold.

Back
Top Bottom