Crackling (?) noise, lethargic poult

lbfdap21

Songster
Dec 1, 2021
One of my poults is not doing well. She’s been much less active than the others - not eating/drinking as well.

I’m also hearing a crackling type of noise sometimes when she chirps.

She’s tiny - 4 days old and 36 grams.

Bedding is sand.

So far, I’ve given her a drop of Corid and a tiny bit of egg yolk (couldn’t get her to eat much).

Any idea what might be going on and what else I can do?

I’m holding her wrapped in a warm towel right now because the others seem to be picking on her.

One of my poults is not doing well. She’s been much less active than the others - not eating/drinking as well.

I’m also hearing a crackling type of noise sometimes when she chirps.

She’s tiny - 4 days old and 36 grams.

Bedding is sand.

So far, I’ve given her a drop of Corid and a tiny bit of egg yolk (couldn’t get her to eat much).

Any idea what might be going on and what else I can do?

I’m holding her wrapped in a warm towel right now because the others seem to be picking on her.
So the first thing I would say is that sand (beach sand or similar) can cause serious respiratory issues, maybe switch to pine shavings or hemp. Can you send a picture of the sand?

So the first thing i would say is that sand (beach sand or similar) can cause serious respiratory issues, maybe switch to pine shavings or hemp?
Yikes. I read that pine shavings could cause issues so I went with sand.

I bought quick-crete brand play sand

Attachments

• D0BD2893-9D31-4EDB-A6D9-519B64BE4075.jpeg
    D0BD2893-9D31-4EDB-A6D9-519B64BE4075.jpeg
    957.9 KB · Views: 2
Yikes. I read that pine shavings could cause issues so I went with sand.

I bought quick-crete brand play sand
I currently have 5 chicks that i raised from eggs in pine shavings, and i have not observed any issues. Play sand is way too fine for young birds and along with respiratory issues it causes, if they eat it it can cause blockage in the digestive system. If you don't feel ok with pine shavings try hemp! Hemp is what i am doing with half of my chicks (I'm testing which one works better) and so far hemp works great. But remove the sand!

I currently have 5 chicks that i raised from eggs in pine shavings, and i have not observed any issues. Play sand is way too fine for young birds and along with respiratory issues it causes, if they eat it it can cause blockage in the digestive system. If you don't feel ok with pine shavings try hemp! Hemp is what i am doing with half of my chicks (I'm testing which one works better) and so far hemp works great. But remove the sand!
Where do you get your hemp bedding from? I didn’t know there was such a thing. I did get a bag of pine shavings before my birds arrived and the bag was full of mites (another reason I ended up going with sand).

Would laying down paper towels until I get the sand swapped out help?

Where do you get your hemp bedding from? I didn’t know there was such a thing. I did get a bag of pine shavings before my birds arrived and the bag was full of mites (another reason I ended up going with sand).

Would laying down paper towels until I get the sand swapped out help?
Yes, it probably would. If you get bedding with mites in it again try putting diatimatious earth on it! For hemp I just looked up stores that sell hemp near me.

Back
Top Bottom