Cracks on the egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Minniechickmama, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have one of my hens that is laying eggs that must not be sealing properly on one "end" and there are little cracks in them right after she lays. Is this something that I can correct by somehow feeding more calcium? Or is this the hen's problem? Any thoughts?

2. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    If she is laying eggs with this problem every time it is probably genetic. You may have to cull this hen unless she is special to you.

3. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Are you sure they aren't just cracking when they hit the "ground"? Do you have any pics?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the link. I think it has something to do with the fact that they all quit laying shortly after I got them, probably from the stress of relocating, and then our puppy who didn't want to leave them alone for a while. Now they seem comfortable and I boosted their protein with calf manna and I have 2 or 3 laying again. I haven't seen the cracks in a couple of days, but I will keep watching.
    Thanks for the advice, folks.

6. Minniechickmama

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the link. I think it has something to do with the fact that they all quit laying shortly after I got them, probably from the stress of relocating, and then our puppy who didn't want to leave them alone for a while. Now they seem comfortable and I boosted their protein with calf manna and I have 2 or 3 laying again. I haven't seen the cracks in a couple of days, but I will keep watching.
    Thanks for the advice, folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by