Crafters- What are you making???

Quote:
You can add a link to your website on your signature.
smile.png

Quote:
Hey SunnyDawn, can you post a pic of these? I too got carried away with starting indoors, and now I have about 60 little guys that need re-potted. The only kind of landscaping fabric I've seen is sort of plastic-y ~ surely that's not what you made the pots out of? Or if it is ~ I guess you don't plant the pot & all when you put them into the ground? Thank you in advance!
~Red
ps ~ eta ~ WOW ~ you guys are doing some really WONDERFUL stuff! and blessed chickenmama, your girls are SOOO DANG CUTE! ;-D

No. Avoid the plastic stuff! The fabric you want is commercial grade. Open the top of the roll (the guy at the store did this for me) and yank hard on the fabric. If it gives at all don't buy it! These pots get pretty heavy when filled with dirt so the fabric has to be strong. I used my serger which gave me a very strong seam but you can just double stitch them and finish off the edge with a tight zig zag stitch if you don't have a serger. You might want to borrow one though, a serger is a lot faster for this kind of thing.
Here's a pic...

41069_fabric_pots.jpg

For more stability you can sew wire into the side seams but I didn't bother. On windy days I just shove bamboo skewers into the corners to protect the plants some.
Oh and yes you can plant pot and all in the ground later if you wish but the fabric of these pots will not deteriorate like pulp pots will. Water will drain through but make the pots big if you want to do this because the roots will not penetrate the fabric. When the season is over (or at the beginning of next season to avoid big holes all winter) you can just pull the whole plant up fabric and all! Planting the pot will keep moisture in during the hot months but if your soil has a lot of clay in it, it may also increase your chances of root rot or damping off.
Let me know if you make these and how they work for you or if you make improvements. This is a new item in catalogs and I'm curious as to how well they perform. I'm sure I will do them a little differently as I find out what works well and what doesn't.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Hey SunnyDawn, can you post a pic of these? I too got carried away with starting indoors, and now I have about 60 little guys that need re-potted. The only kind of landscaping fabric I've seen is sort of plastic-y ~ surely that's not what you made the pots out of? Or if it is ~ I guess you don't plant the pot & all when you put them into the ground? Thank you in advance!
~Red
ps ~ eta ~ WOW ~ you guys are doing some really WONDERFUL stuff! and blessed chickenmama, your girls are SOOO DANG CUTE! ;-D

No. Avoid the plastic stuff! The fabric you want is commercial grade. Open the top of the roll (the guy at the store did this for me) and yank hard on the fabric. If it gives at all don't buy it! These pots get pretty heavy when filled with dirt so the fabric has to be strong. I used my serger which gave me a very strong seam but you can just double stitch them and finish off the edge with a tight zig zag stitch if you don't have a serger. You might want to borrow one though, a serger is a lot faster for this kind of thing.
Here's a pic...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/41069_fabric_pots.jpg

For more stability you can sew wire into the side seams but I didn't bother. On windy days I just shove bamboo skewers into the corners to protect the plants some.
Oh and yes you can plant pot and all in the ground later if you wish but the fabric of these pots will not deteriorate like pulp pots will. Water will drain through but make the pots big if you want to do this because the roots will not penetrate the fabric. When the season is over (or at the beginning of next season to avoid big holes all winter) you can just pull the whole plant up fabric and all! Planting the pot will keep moisture in during the hot months but if your soil has a lot of clay in it, it may also increase your chances of root rot or damping off.
Let me know if you make these and how they work for you or if you make improvements. This is a new item in catalogs and I'm curious as to how well they perform. I'm sure I will do them a little differently as I find out what works well and what doesn't.
smile.png

Sunny dawn ~ THANK YOU! What an awesome idea! I am going out to get the stuff now ~ thank you for sharing!! I think this is the perfect answer for me ~ If it's the good stuff, I bet they could be sprayed out, bundled up & re-used ~ Thanks again!!!
~Red

Back
Top Bottom