Craigslist people can be real dorks

IcarusSomnio

Songster
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Vernon County, MO
I have a 15 year old Draft cross gelding named Sam. He's bombproof, very gentle and easy to handle. I took him in as a rescue about a year ago and now he's BIG and healthy. He's certainly no Romeo, but his attitude is wonderful. He is broke to ride, but I haven't ridden him in a good year. First it was his weight needing to get back up, then his hooves, then winter struck. So...one year, no riding.

I thought pretty hard about it and realized that I probably won't ever use him to his fullest potential. It's really a terrible waste to have him just sit out in the pasture, so I posted a Craigslist ad, explaining his current condition, history, temperament, and minor (I really mean minor) cosmetic health problem.

I've had...four people thus far contact me on him. One I most definitely would not sell him to, one I'm a bit wary of, and the other two sounded like they would be very good homes. Maybe not perfect, but very good nonetheless. I don't expect to find him THEMOSTAMAZINGHOMEEVER, just someone who won't throw him away the instant he gets to be 25-30 years old and slower than he was ten years ago. More ever, someone who will stay in contact with me about him.

The first wanted a mount for their mom. No questions just how old, how much, I don't have e-mail. No, I will not sell you my horse.
The second gave a big spiel over how they want a pet horse for the kids, nothing too expensive, etc. etc. Get a pony. No, I will not sell you my horse.
The third gave references, explained the history of her other horses, her reasoning for looking for another, pasture size, etc. and invited me to come and take a look. Yes, I will sell you my horse.
The fourth wanted a easy trail mount for mother and daughter. A nice horse to spoil and love. Explained her history with horses, her reason for looking for one, her experience, and boarding. Yes, I will sell you my horse.

The first person I cut off contact with pretty quick. I'm in no rush or extreme need to sell him, so I'm sure as heck going to be picky!
I heard back from the second after a few days, but I'm not comfortable with selling Sam to them, so they'll have to find another equine.
Haven't heard back from the third since I first talked to her. So I'm considering her to be a flake, or that she found a younger/more perfect horse. Sammy hasn't been ridden in a year, so that can be a killer for a lot of people. Especially if they're not confident enough to give him a tune up.

I heard back from the fourth today. Usual 'some things came up' but 'we'd really love to meet him' stuff (they where supposed to come out today). I sold her my ball pythons and Red Tail Boa a few weeks earlier and she asked a lot of questions about them and was overall a very nice lady. I'll be keeping her in mind.

I figure if the two I DO like decide not to buy him, or if I never hear from them again, I'll just keep him around and try to ride him at least once a week. Or give lessons to my friend with him once he's tuned up again. Or give him to my dad as a trail mount...or something.
I have four horses all together and the other three I'm training. Getting ready to saddle break my colt, giving my 10 year a refresher course, and will be starting on my mare once she settles in more. I just need to finish her out, I want to do western events and small shows because I'm a bit nerdy like that.

Wonderful horse, I was just hoping I could find a home that would give him more attention and love. He does get loads (just like everyone else), I keep his mane brushed and braided, trim his bridal path and what not, he gets baths, fly spray, shots, wormer, and farrier work just like everyone else. He would be great for a teen or young adult (he can easily carry a full sized man) looking for a confidence building horse. Just someone who could maybe get more use out of him? It kinda feels like I'm neglecting him, or just kinda wasting him
hmm.png

Figures. He's no high class Warmblood with impeccable bloodlines...but if nothing else he does make for a good lawn mower
smile.png

Are there any general horse rescues, or breed-specific rescues near you? Some of them operate over many states' area. Maybe one could help you find him a great forever home. Try looking at Petfinder.com and contacting rescues through there.

Good luck.
fl.gif

I had similar trouble selling a perfect paint mare, broke, lovely, purebred homozygous tobiano just turned 6. this bad horse market seems to bring out the flake in people. I can simply not remember the massive number of people that wanted her for their very young children, as in 2-6 year olds. she was a lovely mare but no 2-6 year old child needs to be on a young horse no matter how broke or kind. its just crazy to even think of.

Quote:
All the horse rescues around us are turning people down, they don't have room or foster homes for them anymore. People are just abandoning their horses, tying them to fences at rescues or front porches of houses that have horses. It's gotten bad here in Michigan, especially since so many are leaving the state due to lack of jobs.

Sammy hasn't been ridden in a year, so that can be a killer for a lot of people.

This could be the problem. Give him a tune up and advertise him again. It's too easy for a dishonest seller to use this excuse for a horse with bad riding habits.
I learned to stay away from ads that state the horse is a well mannered horse but a "little rusty" from not being ridden. That's not to say that you are being dishonest. But if a person doesn't know you it could be what they are thinking.​

The second gave a big spiel over how they want a pet horse for the kids, nothing too expensive, etc. etc. Get a pony. No, I will not sell you my horse.

I'm not saying your horse could have been good for them but having been a child that grew up on ponies I will never ever suggest them to another person. Most ponies are stubborn little monsters who rarely get disciplined or trained properly because the adults can't ride them. I did find one lady with some nice POAs but those are nearly the size of my registered quarter horses so not really ponies in my mind. I would buy a kid a full size horse including up to draft cross sizes because it's so much easier to find a calm, well trained horse than the equivalent as a pony. I got stepped on, run over, run off with, kicked, and bit much less with our full size horses than the ponies. The one seemed to delight in purposely stepping on my foot just as I was finishing a step so I'd fall flat and he could pull the rope out of my hand to go eat grass.
roll.png

Horse rescues are all full across the country. It's partially because of the closing of all slaughter plants which flooded the market with barely useable horses that end up in rescues, partially because of a hay shortage that happened around the same time, and partially just from the general economy and gas prices. The best example I've heard was a person that stuck their 3 horses in a pasture and put up a sign saying free horses in the hopes someone would take them. They came out to check them one day and they had 5 horses. That's how bad the horse market is in much of the US. You don't have to worry about anyone stealing a horse from you. You have to worry about them dumping horses in your pasture. I gave up trying to sell anything in the current market. I wouldn't get 1/4th what my horses would normally be worth and it's hard to find any good buyers. My horses are better off getting fat in my pasture.​

We just went through the same thing rehoming our 2 pasture pets who had not been ridden in 2 years. Thankfully we have a local 'swap sheet' that advertises for FREE.

We had the usual goofball callers who didnt have anything better to do than dream about owning a horse and calling on every one in the paper. lol

Then we struck it rich with a young woman....20ish who was looking for a nice mare. Cindy loved her and she loved Cindy! Match made in Heaven. Then our Gelding went to a young man who wanted a mount for his girlfriend who is a very inexperienced rider. We emailed info back and forth, I gave them all of his strong points as well as his weak spots. They brought the trailer on the 1st visit to see him. lol. They both rode him and brought a very experienced rider with them who took him for a spin, handed me cash...no haggling which I very much appreciated... and loaded him up.

The g/f emails me pics and we Facebook so we can keep up with our boy.
smile.png

So....good owners can be found. Hang in there.

Not only that, the economy kills the equine. People are abandoning them like wildfire especially in the west where there's a fascination of the wild wild west and riding horse into the sunset. People shouldn't buy them if they can't support them.

Back
Top Bottom