Crap on a Crutch

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by violetsky, Nov 9, 2011.

1. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I just lost my best hen and rooster to a predator. Their bodies were not eaten
    or even particularly molested just strong bite marks on the neck. Whatever
    decided to kill them pushed a board loose and squeezed into their private coop.
    It dragged the rooster half way through the opening and the rooster stuck half
    in half out. I think the predator basically locked himself back out of the coop.
    I've had chickens attacked before but somehow this time just is really
    depressing me, something about their perfect bodies in great health dead and not
    even eaten, such a waste. I pulled the hen out but just couldnt face the rooster.
    The rest of my chickens are unhappily stuck in the garage.

2. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    [​IMG]
    Could've been almost anything, but in my case, I realized afterwards, that the husky dog that took out my first flock must have beeninside the coop, from the knocked-over board in there.

3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    i know how you feel [​IMG] weve lost to predation before but we recently lost our favorite roo to a coon and it was just different. sucks, man, sorry [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss.Video cams are getting cheap.I would set one up to see what goes on.

5. violetsky

violetsky Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    There's every kind of predator known to the south as well as a few exotics where my chickens are. (I saw a coati mundi in Huntsville this summer).
    I keep reinforcing nailing down, double tying shut a door, and the first opportunity or oversight on my part and I lose a chicken. The board pried
    loose was the same exact board opened up a couple of years ago. I nailed it down then, after another slaughter and whatever it was worked it loose
    again. Whatever it is much smaller than a dog, sans the toy breeds that would be eaten up too. I don't even think a good sized raccoon could get into
    that hole maybe 2.5 inches in diameter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by