Crap.

I ditto what WVduckchick said! I will add that it's pretty unusual for them to start unzipping and stopping. Also unusual for the yolk to not be completely absorbed when all of the blood is absorbed. Does the navel appear to be open where the yolk is protruding or does it look like the navel started to close prematurely around the yolk before it was fully absorbed? If it's the latter it's possible that the temps were a little too high (the most common reason for this happening).

There is an opening.

I have actually never had a Chick whose yolk sac wasn't absorbed, so I'm struggling to see what I'm looking at exactly in this gosling. It's really dark in color with almost no yellow. I had to leave for awhile, so I'll try to take a photo this evening of it.

My heat is set to 100.

I hit enter too soon. I forgot to turn it down after my last batch of other eggs, so that very well could have been it.

I'm not so sure he's going to be ok. His one little foot is all turned around. The other foot was folded up but now looks good. I'm hoping this one will also straighten out but I don't want to mess with it until he dries off.

Poor little thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211002-192434_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20211002-192434_Messages.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 10
I'm not so sure he's going to be ok. His one little foot is all turned around. The other foot was folded up but now looks good. I'm hoping this one will also straighten out but I don't want to mess with it until he dries off.

Poor little thing.
Well, his eyes are open that's a good sign! he looks lively to me although I've only ever incubated ducks and chickens does he make a lot of noise??? also he is adorable

Poor little thing.

Oops, I got excited prematurely. It's not unusual to see this when they've been stuck in the egg longer so hopefully it will look better in the morning but if not, there are things you can do to help, like little booties for its feet. For now it's just a matter of giving it some time to recuperate from a rough start.

Poor little thing.
I just dont like the way that foot looks but fortunately, there are fixes for that!

Back
Top Bottom